4 speed or torqueflite??

-

chasb

Reaction score
I have a 69 Dart 440 with A 833 4 speed. I had a Passon performance overdrive gear set put in to get some crusing life out of the car, but have been having one issue after another with it.

The hydraulic throwout is leaking. The car pops out of third gear by itself.

Getting pissed to thepoint of thinking about changing to a torqueflite.

Questions:

Any opinions on doing this?

Is the conversion difficult?

What do I need to complete the conversion

What tranny do I use 727?

Any cost estimates from those who have deone it.

Car is not and never will be raced.

Thanks

I would leave it in, but take it back to whoever did the work and then fix it to stop coming out of gear. The hydraulic leak would be easier and cheaper to fix than the swap.

Just did the swap from a 3 speed; auto radiator or cooler, lines, shifter, manual body or kick down cable, flex plate, driveshaft? dunno, as I put a custom Dana in, and needed one anyhow. Same crossmember, speed cable.

I pulled the manual out; a bud came over, and we had the 727 bolted up and on the crossmember in 1.5 hours (on stands.) Don't install the shifter first( I crushed a $50 cable). The metal in the tunnel (lip) needs to be hammered flat. It was easier than we thought it would be.

Now routing the shifter cable away from the headers, grrr. And I rigged the cooler lines in with hi temp hi pressure rubber lines from auto store.

Not hard. Oh, the manual has only backup wires(2). Had to run neutral wire to starter relay.

Forgot; I already had the overcenter spring for clutch off. I just pushed the clutch pedal to the floor, it stays there. Hell with converting that under-dash mess. And bypass the clutch switch/(which is done by the clutch pedal down).

Automatics can go bad too.

Alot less work if you just fix what is in there. What rear gearing do you have that made you need an overdrive for longevity?

Automatics can go bad too.

Alot less work if you just fix what is in there. What rear gearing do you have that made you need an overdrive for longevity?

THanks everyone

Original gear was 4:10. Car is a stroked 440 (496 ) Gas runs through it like crap through a goose.

I changed to 3:55's but that didn't help much. Still couldn't cruise above 50 before hitting 3.000 rpm's. Thought the OD gear set would do the trick. ALso had issues with the mechanical linkage banging against the headers etc, so the McLeod hydraulic throwout and clutch assembly aslo made alot of sense.

-
Back