4 speed problem

-

moparmike98

Reaction score
Recently I noticed that when I'm down shifting from 3rd to 2nd it'll grind. Any ideas what could cause this. I have to come to a stop to change to 1st. Just started and Idk what to do. Thank you for your time.

Could possibly be linkage adjustment, but I would bet heavily on synchronizers. A Mopar 4 speed rebuild is within the ability of a competent weekend Mechanic (I did mine and it works fine).

Could possibly be linkage adjustment, but I would bet heavily on synchronizers. A Mopar 4 speed rebuild is within the ability of a competent weekend Mechanic (I did mine and it works fine).

I agree on the syncros.
Especially if it's full on the normal fluid you run in it.
Sometimes a different fluid can make a difference, but it's not going to fix worn syncros.

Check the stuff that costs nuthin first. Fluid level, linkage, shifter and clutch adjustment.

As RRR say's, no cost stuff first.

What lube is in there, ATF or gear? How old?

Make sure clutch is releasing fully, could be worn components, Like RRR said.

I would guess its the clutch linkage adjustment.
You could also pull the inspection plate off the bell housing and look to see how much lining is left on the clutch disk.

I think when new mopar used 70 Wt gear oil. But when I turned wrenches for GM, whenever we had a rough shifting manual trans, we used Dextron ATF, always shifted smooth after that. Now how often to change? Good question. Maybe never? :burnout:MT

dont down shift..... and just use your brakes....

brake pads are less expensive than a transmission....

-
Back