4-Speed Question

-

naji408

Reaction score
Do any of you guys know if a Light duty 23 spline standard transmission is strong enough to withstand 500 hp? I believe the tranny is out of a 318 a-body.

NO. The A-230 heavy duty three speed won't even hold that.

Do any of you guys know if a Light duty 23 spline standard transmission is strong enough to withstand 500 hp? I believe the tranny is out of a 318 a-body.
Is this a 4 spd or a 3 spd?? The 4 spd cast iron case will be no problem. The aluminum O/D will be a problem. If it's a 3 spd, thats kind of iffy. They did put them behind 340's but 500 HP is a real stretch!

I know its a four speed, but I dont know the casting numbers. Do they make kits to make those tranny strong enough?

hi, there aren't kits to make a 833 stronger, they're strong to begin with. go get a jerico, have no problems then.

My thoughts on a 23 spline A-833 4speed would be ok on the street at 500HP , but possible not on the track were you are hooking hard. They are a strong 4 speed to begin with. You could always give Wayne or Dan Brewer a call at brewers performance. They have a ton of knowledge on mopar 4 speeds.
Matt

I know its a four speed, but I dont know the casting numbers. Do they make kits to make those tranny strong enough?

Sorry, then scrub my answer then. I took for granted when you said light duty, you meant 3 speed. If it is an A833 yes it will hold 500 HP. If it is the A833 overdrive, it will need some upgrades. Passon Performance sells anything you want to make an 833 OD live at 500 and above HP.

Look, take your 4 spd to Passon or Brewers and let them go through it. A healthy A-833 will take that motor no problem. I think the only differences in 833's are the input spline count and the gear ratios. I have yet to break one, but I have them gone through by a trusted builder. I also drive it on the street. They are the Battleships of 4 spd production transmissions!

23 spline a833 will hold the 500 horses on the street and on the track

been there before you will snap u joint,gears and synchro ring

before it let go

What's the size of your output shaft? I say this because there are two sizes. one that's the same thickness as an A904, and the other is as thick as the A727. That's the one you need if you want it to handle 500hp.

Antoon

-
Back