4 Speed Question

-

WARLOCKII

Reaction score
Will the 4 speed from a B-body fit/work in an A-body? I have the chance to buy a rebuilt running 360 w/4 speed for $700. I would like to put this in my 72 Swinger. The owner thinks the trans is from a B-body. Is the trans to long? Is the shifter location in the same place? My car was a /6 auto so I would have to add the shifter hump to the tunnel and get a set of pedals but it's worth it if the trans will work. Any input, do's, don'ts would be helpfull.
Thanks

Short of doing what the person did on Brad4406's link plus modifying the tranny crossmember, they don't just bolt in. If it's a good enough deal, why not sell the B-body trans and use that money to get an A-body one.

Would it work with some mods? Since its an auto car I can locate the shifter hump where I need it. Looking at the diagram it looks like there is only a couple inches difference in the shifter location. What modification would be needed for the trans. mount? I would like to make it work if possible. Sometimes I'm hard headed.:banghead:

Using the B-body location, the shifter will hit the dash, using the E-body pad, the shifter is almost behind you. The transmission mount on most B-bodies are in a different place than an A-body. You may want to measure first. I think the A-body mount measures about 4 3/4 back from the main case to the center line of the mount bolts. I think the later B/E extension housings have the same mount measurement as the A-body but the late 60's extension is several inches off.

-
Back