4 speed rebuild

-

64cudaV8

Reaction score
I know there are threads on it. But in all actuality how easy or hard is it to do an at home rebuild? Mine is leaking, grinds 1,2 on the down shift and has a stuck ,and I mean damn stuck, drain plug.

It's not bad at all. You need to disassemble, then make a list of what parts you need, then order fron Brewer's or a similar place. A standard rebuild kit may not have the perts that are "worn out. You will need a shop press if replacing the output shaft bearing. You should use at least a Chilton manual, and you will need a dummy shaft for the idler shaft bearing install. Dont rush it, it should go well. Sounds like a synchronizer for the grinding, but there are "fingers in the snchro that wear out also, and they are sold seperate, or at least they were when I rebuilt mine like 6 years ago. For the stuck plug, try a little heat with a plumber's torch. Or Acetyline but dont get "red hot"

Thanks for the reply Dart. What do you mean a dummy shaft? Do i need a specific size rod? I have a press at work I could use. Where could I find a new plug for the Tranny? Does brewers have those as well?

piece of broom handle works. metal or wood holds roller bearings and spacers in the counter shaft during install. when new countershaft rod is pushed in the temp rod gets pushed out. Buy some transgel helps alot with assembly

-
Back