4 speed ?'s

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
How clumsy is the council shifter compared to non concil.
Plan to race the car a few times a year after I make the swap.
Is the top plate the only difference?
CON-TP6971A.jpg

SH055R.jpg

Not much difference between the 2. You should not notice a difference in how the car will shift, no clumsiness to be concerned about. If you are planning to use an automatic console with a 4 speed, there is more to it than just changing the top plate. There is a fiberglass cover that needs to be added to the drivers side of the console. It covers the shifter mechanism which actually protrudes outside of an automatic console. Perhaps someone can post a picture showing the difference.

Russ

How clumsy is the council shifter compared to non concil.
Plan to race the car a few times a year after I make the swap.
Is the top plate the only difference?
CON-TP6971A.jpg

SH055R.jpg

You will have to cut the hole in the side of your automatic console to look like the one pictures above. It s for access to the shifter. The cover that goes over the hole was originally made of fiberglass. You should be able to fabricate one of those out of something.

Thanks for the info. I have a spare council. Shouldn't be to hard to make it work.

Thanks for the info. I have a spare council. Shouldn't be to hard to make it work.

Maybe a member here who owns a 4 speed console could make a pattern and take some measurements. This way you won't be guessing on where to cut. I have one but it would have to be removed from my car. If no one offers to help you out within a few days, I will take mine out and do it for you. Also, you may want to start a new thread in the 4 speed forum asking for some help with a pattern as I explained above.

Russ

the console style shifter works better if you shift it with more of an down and up motion compared to a back and forth with a more upright shifter..

An actual pattern would be great as I plan on adding a console to my 66 soon and have an auto console.

-
Back