4 speed swap from a 64 to a 70

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
We bought a 64 Valiant that has a V8 4 speed in it to use as a donor for my 70 Duster. What all parts will interchange? I know the trans, bellhousing and shifter and shift linkage will all change over. But I am guessing the pedals are different? Also the trans crossmember??

the parts will fit. however, the 64 has a 12 " dia flywheel , and a 9 1/2 " clutch. the bellhousing is smaller versus a 340 bellhousing. the 340 used a 13" dia flywheel and a 10 1/2 " clutch. the 64 has a ball & trunion u-joint, the 340 had a slip joint style. the trans crossmember is different. to make it correct, have to change trans tail housing to later A body style for slip joint.
If you have a 727 trans, the drive shaft will be too short for the 4 speed trans. the bellhousings are made for specific flywheel diameters.

I think what perfacar was saying was the '64 crossmember is different than the '70 crossmember.

Chuck

They say the mind is the first to go..... the Valiant is a 65 model..not a 64 :) Probably still the wrong tailshaft on the trans though.

Are the '64 pedals different as in 'don't fit' or 'don't work' in a later a-body? I'm in the same boat, just found a set of '65 pedals and z-bar to mount in my '69 cuda. The '65 ball-mount is also different looking for the outboard side; it's pre-mounted to a flat plate - the '69 type (I thought) screwed on through a reinforcing plate that is welded to the outside of the frame rail. So does anyone know if will the early z-bar system work in a '69? Thanks,
Bill
69 fb cuda
Hillsboro, OR

I think the 64 pedals should fit in a 70 - I'm using 73 pedals in a 63. As for the linkage, I've no idea - I'm using a hydraulic setup

That makes sense - I think a friend has a loose '67 pedal set-up so I'll try to compare them side by side next week. Still wondering about the z-bar though, the '65 looks different than I recall the 67 (and later) looking...

The early 64/65 Z bar wont work the engine compartment is smaller by a couple inches on these cars .They widened it in 67. The the z bar mounting bracket on the bell is also different on the early bell, the mounting holes for it are in a different location, so to make the thing work you need 67 up bell and z bar with all the correct 67 up z bar mounting stuff.

I was afraid of that - thanks for clarifying!

If you have the frame side ball stud setup for the 64, don't toss it. To the best of my knowledge nobody is reproducing them so you'll probably find somebody that can use it.

If you have the frame side ball stud setup for the 64, don't toss it. To the best of my knowledge nobody is reproducing them so you'll probably find somebody that can use it.

Thats not a problem here!! I don't throw out anything!!

I have a set of pedals for a 74 dart sport that i have parted out. i used all the parts on my 64 but the ball and stud arrangement is only held in place with only 1 bolt with blue loctight. I know I need the different Z-bar arrangement and orthe ball stud arrangementthat bolts to tranny bellhousing!!

the Z bar and mounting brackets are differnt 1964 -66 and then 67 and up
the 64/66 z bar and mounting brackets are hard to find,, if it is a v8 z bar dont toss it,, some one will need it,, also the ball stud on the frame in the 64 65 66 no one is repopping,,, if its the orignal trans the drive shaft is bolted to the back of the tranns,,it probably has a 3.09 first gear,,all other 4 speed have either a have a different ratio firstr gear,, the ratio escapes my mind at the moment,, the 3.09 works great with a small engine, gets you off the line with quicker rpm,s i use one in my car with a late model tail shaft,,,the cross member wil probably bolt to the newer A body,, but the rubber mount in the cross member is a 2 bolt 66 and newer are single mounting bolt,,
the pedals will work i used late mofel pedals in my 66 for a long time till i found the earlier pedals,, some one will probably be willing to trade you the corect pedals,,and yes the bell housing and clutch is smaller if orignal,,

any one looking for a bell housing /scatter shield that will fit any " A " body,,quick time is now making them very small is size where it counts,will fit a 10 1/2 inch clutch,,

anyone looking for a bell housing /scatter shield that will fit any " A " body,,quick time is now making them very small is size where it counts,will fit a 10 1/2 inch clutch,,

fits any A body as in early A?
IF so whats the contact info for quick time?

blue 65 the new quick time bell housing/scatter shield are very small in al the correct areas,, and pass all the sfi approvals,,, i have one comming for a mopar to tremec 5 speed,, they make them for mopar to mopar tranns as well and come with the fork bracket,, you cant buy the mopar to mopar tranny bell directly,,you have to go to a distributor,, there is a guy on here he is a distributor 66DDART he is a real nice guy he can help you out you can go look at quicktime.com there are pics ,,,, i have the guys number that is a distributor his name is phil in ohio ( 937 ) 403-2356 tell him i sent you,,,i am going to try to post a pic here of one .. also if ur not serious dont call him,he works a normal job like u and me,, he just does this to help out the mopar guys

rm6072back.jpg

rm6072top.jpg

-
Back