4 speed swap in 70 dart 340 from a 904 auto

-

Jeff King

Reaction score
I have a buddy that has a complete swap from a 71 340 duster.Will the pedals work? He has floor hump,bellhousing,4 speed tranny,pedals, all linkage, z bar, flywheel, bracket that goes on frame in driver side wheel well for z bar and crossmember and hurst com shifter for 1,000 is that a good deal?

read my tread below. Im up to $1029... but this includes 2 trannys and 2 bells and 2 ball studs and also a new clutch... So id say $1000 is a good deal... not far off at least. (you will need new bolts for fylwheel and bell and pilot bearing etc etc.. prolly can get it done for $1500

If the trans is good to go I would pay that much. Not a great deal but price it out at brewers performance and see what he gets.

tranny is good it was behind a 340.Guy put a big block in car so its all ust sitting in his garage.will the pedal pads fit from a 70?I figured new bolts.Will there be any problems with linkage hitting headers?

Seems like a lot of work.
I say,take the money and build a nice 904,with stall.
The car will be much more consistent.

I always thought the same way. Nothing wrong with a properly built Auto with the right converter. But I still like getting in a 4spd car. I want one of each.

Seems like a lot of work.
I say,take the money and build a nice 904,with stall.
The car will be much more consistent.

That's a pretty good deal, like someone else mentioned, as long as the trans is good. The trans alone goes for $300 -500, if you add up parts that's a fair price.

I think it's a good deal if it's good and as complete as you say.
The pedals will bolt right up under your existing dash as a whole assembly.

I think there may be a clearance issue with the headers and the z bar from what I have read in the exhaust forum.

FWIW I just put a 4 speed behind my 318 with a cheap set of headers. I was worried about z bar clearance but It was a breeze to get in there and no interference when I hit the clutch.

I think TTIs have some z bar clearance issues tho. but I think people have just modded the Z bar a bit and got it working.

thank u all.What is the best clutch to use? has 8 3/4 with 3:55 posi and mild 340
how would it do around town and with air conditioning and power steering?

Centerforce or McLoed dont cheap out on the clutch and pressure plate or you will regret it.
Also dont forget the pilot bearing in the back of the crank.

Centerforce all the way, you will love it, super easy pedal, and never any slip.

Centerforce all the way, you will love it, super easy pedal, and never any slip.

X2 the centerforce in my duster is so easy to push, almost as easy as the stock clutch in my 03 wrangler.

-
Back