4-speed z-bar bracket Question

-

340swinger4spd

Reaction score
Hello, on a 1970 Swinger does the Z-bar bracket get welded in? Or is there suppose to be intrenal nuts so it can be bolted?

2nd guess is correct.

The Z bar has two open ends. 1 end that goes to the transmissions bellhousing has two plastic half shells that go around a ball that is on a stud that screws into the bell housing.

On the other side. The same thing only the stud screws into the side Of the body. Again, the two half plastic shells go around the ball and slide into the Z bar shaft.

Consult a shop manual or hopefully someone will post a picture.

66 and earlier the frame bracket bolts to the inner fender just above the frame rail and the holes are punched for the bolts,67 and later the frame bracket for the Z bar is welded and the hole is usually in the inner fenderwell for the ball to help locate it to be welded.

4sptechindex_clip_image002_0002.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Sorry to but in, but did they come with the bracket enough if they were automatic cars ?

Sorry to but in, but did they come with the bracket enough if they were automatic cars ?

I don't believe they had it. Certainly unnecessary for floor shift. '69 parts book indicates a different bracket for column shift shaft.
If it don't need it, don't do it. Then too, mistakes could be made.

Cars with automatic transmissions just like the ones with manuals had the hole drilled in the inner fender sheet metal where the ball stud would be mounted. With a auto trans. the factory installed a plastic plug in place of the the ball stud. Also they did not get the ball stud welded reinforcing brace.

Cars with automatic transmissions just like the ones with manuals had the hole drilled in the inner fender sheet metal where the ball stud would be mounted. With a auto trans. the factory installed a plastic plug in place of the the ball stud. Also they did not get the ball stud welded reinforcing brace.

True for the earlier cars. On my '74 there wasn't a hole in the inner fender sheet metal, but there was a dimple indicating where the hole would be located. On my '71's the hole was drilled and there was a plug placed in the hole as you described. Not sure when the change took place, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was '73 with all of the other re-works for that year.

Here's another picture. Look like someone drilled out the spot welds and made off with yours, as suggested already. The hole in the inner fender sheetmetal is much larger too, normally it's only a little larger than the hole in the bracket.

clutchbracket-jpg.75098.jpg

-
Back