4 way hazards only flash in front

-

steveh

Reaction score
getting 69 dart
ready for state safety inspection and hazard lights acting funny...1st they didn't work...replaced flasher and passfront worked (coincidence perhaps but it was a new bulb).

put old flasher back on and both fronts flash but not the rear.

tail, break and turn work fine

ever happen 2 anyone else...I'm thinking the toggle switch may be on its last legs?

any ideas
thx in advance
steve

Do you have any LED bulbs installed? Flashers (old style non electronic) work on current and need the right number of incandescent bulbs installed to function properly. Add a couple LED's to the mix and funny things happen as LED's use a fraction of the current that an old style bulb would use.

Do you have any LED bulbs installed? Flashers (old style non electronic) work on current and need the right number of incandescent bulbs installed to function properly. Add a couple LED's to the mix and funny things happen as LED's use a fraction of the current that an old style bulb would use.

Good point Dave. I was thinking of swapping my tail light bulbs for leds .

yep...sure did...just goes to show you...new aint always better... i'll put the old 1157s back in 2nite and see what happens

Do the brake lights work?

If the brake lights and rear flashers work, then this is a 4x switch issue.

If the brake lights do not work but the turn signals DO work, it is a column TS switch issue.

Here is how the earlier 4x toggle works

You have 4 terminals, none are connected when off

When on, ALL FOUR are connected.

One wire is 4x flasher "coming in"

One is brake light power "going out"

And the other two go to left and right front signal lamps

Do the brake lights work? If the brake lights and rear flashers work, then this is a 4x switch issue.If the brake lights do not work but the turn signals DO work, it is a column TS switch issue.Here is how the earlier 4x toggle worksYou have 4 terminals, none are connected when offWhen on, ALL FOUR are connected. One wire is 4x flasher "coming in"One is brake light power "going out"And the other two go to left and right front signal lamps

del,

life got in the way...sorry for not replying sooner.

brake lights and rear turn signals both work

but only the fronts flash when I throw the toggle

goin back under the dash using one of your old posts where you described the circuit to see if any of the wiring is loose

well...that was too easy

all I did was disconnect and re connect the flasher

when I threw the toggle instead of only the front workin...this time

right front and rear flashed

then I noticed that inaddition to movin up and down, the toggle arm seemed to be spring loaded...meaning I could also push the arm in slightly and it would return to its original position on its own....did that a couple times and all 4 worked.

good nuf to get past HI state safety inspection...prob will need to pull , inspect and clean the connections in the toggle

Real good. This old girls are pretty simple............

Real good. This old girls are pretty simple............

simple but tempermental...just like the other girl in my life:D

owned the dart for 25yrs...married for 18...both have caused more than their fair share of headaches but i'll never trade either of them for a newer model

Sounds like you need to "clean" the switch contacts if you can get to it. Shoot some WD-40 in there and work the switch back & forth. It'll lube & clean it quickly.

-
Back