400 or 440 Stroker Steet Build?

-

MidTexCuda

Ancient Member
Reaction score
Moving my drag car to the street.

What platform would be the best for a pump gas only non DD?
I have all my old parts from my stroker 440 to 500 but because I need a new block and pistons I am open to a build change.
I know the all the normal benefits of the 400 (strength, bob weight ect.) and I know what I will be needed to make the change. My main question is will the lighter rotating mass be worth the expenses of rebuying parts or will the added mass balance out in torque return?
my goal is a 600+ hp and the same for torque. It will be in a very street lite car.

6 of one half dozen of the other. But I do LOVE the 3.91 stroke B blocks, they just work, and work very well! If I were to build myself a BBM stoker, Thats what it would be, but way to much fab work to stuff it in the ol minivan LOL

I would like to use my 4.15 crank. my rods have the big end so they will more than likely need to go with the short deck.
If each combo produces it own + and- then it sound likes I would be best serviced staying with the 440, piston down.

I'd build what you have, nothing wrong with that combo imo. Put some good flowing heads on it, have it align honed with studs & don't spin it to the moon. And it should make the power you're looking for & live a long life.

Do you really need a 600HP big block in a 3000lb car, connected to hockey puck tires, to drive around town in? Called endangering the public.

Do you really need a 600HP big block in a 3000lb car, connected to hockey puck tires, to drive around town in? Called endangering the public.

600hp street cars these days, are almost a dime a dozen. Put a blower or turbo on a Coyote or LSX and you'll make that all day long. Cars don't endanger anyone, the dumb asses behind the wheel do...

Those cars also have traction control and sticky modern compound tires, and your right about the wheel man. :cheers:

The car is a big tire car with all of the finest. Im not 20 anymore so showing off around others will not be an issue. If the car wont hook I wont drive it like it can.
I have a small kid and the time to go to the track is not there nor can I justify the cost to go. My goal is to be able to drive my car and enjoy it not just use it only 6-10 times a year. I still want the power. If my goal was a 400HP I would buy a genIII hemi or small block and save the weight. I couldn't bare to drive a with a sewing machine under the hood and to honest would be embarrassed to do so.

The car is a big tire car with all of the finest. Im not 20 anymore so showing off around others will not be an issue. If the car wont hook I wont drive it like it can.
I have a small kid and the time to go to the track is not there nor can I justify the cost to go. My goal is to be able to drive my car and enjoy it not just use it only 6-10 times a year. I still want the power. If my goal was a 400HP I would buy a genIII hemi or small block and save the weight. I couldn't bare to drive a with a sewing machine under the hood and to honest would be embarrassed to do so.

What's a sewing machine? Slant 6?

Nothing specific, mainly a stock style and sounding engine. The comment was mainly directed to the person that implied 600+HP was unneeded and unsafe on the street.

600hp street cars these days, are almost a dime a dozen. Put a blower or turbo on a Coyote or LSX and you'll make that all day long. Cars don't endanger anyone, the dumb asses behind the wheel do...

I agree! Hell a new Hemi truck is 400hp. I also agree with the 470" low deck as suggested above. I did one a few years back for my 69 B'cuda. With OOTB Eddy heads(springs for the cam) and a small solid street roller and 10.2:1 comp. it made 420 rwhp at 5500 rpm.:burnout: It is a very streetable combo that packages nicely in an A-body. A little more cam, a little head work would easily put you in the 600hp range. Maybe you could sell some of the stuff you have to offset the costs?? MRL sounds like the guy to talk to..his build threads are very impressive(and informative!!) Have fun! BB A-bodies are a hoot to drive!!:burnout:

I'd rather have the B wedge. Smaller for packaging, lighter, easy to come by. The only downside is manifold choice isn't as good as the RB choices.

With an F1 & any significant a amount of boost, you're better off just going with an aftermarket block from the get go. A D1SC would get you in the ballpark of pushing the limits of either a raised or low deck block... If you're at sea level.

With an F1 & any significant a amount of boost, you're better off just going with an aftermarket block from the get go. A D1SC would get you in the ballpark of pushing the limits of either a raised or low deck block... If you're at sea level.

x2. Build it for what you're planning. If it involves a blower - get a real block. You'll waste a lot of $$ prepping for something to last a little longer rather than a better block that can just handle anything.

I went 440 with mine, mainly cause that's what I lucked into for a steal of a price. You could probably sell the stuff that wont work for the 440 to help off set the cost of the new parts.

-
Back