408 build questions

-

1972orangebeast

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 408 short block, forged crank 9.1 Keith black pistons and I. I have a good running 340 with x heads, rpm air gap intake, comp 284/291 dur .484/.484 lift cam, literally brand new cam lifters.....

Well that sucks didn't mean to post it that way, anyway basically want anyone's opinion on if I switch my top end to the 408 is that cam going to work? Or would I be better off with something different? My goal is a street driver, wanting to be around 400-450 hp.

I think you would be better specing the cam for the 408 and your drivetrain specs. The heads and intake would work good. Good luck with it.

Yes sorry it has a six speed and running 4:11s. Just wondering if I go bigger cam will it make a little more power or should I really consider some eddy heads?

Since the valve isnt being lifted very high... Save money and bowl port the stock heads W/a comp valve job. The Edel. Heads are nice but the cam spec do not take advantage of the better head flow the Edel. offers. If you change your cam out with a higher lifting unit, the Edelbrock would have been my choice.

Remember that the duration (while letting more air and fuel in for more power, it does) dictate(s) the RPM range your engine and car operate in.

Even the Edelbrock heads can use some extra port work for a 408.

It will could make 400 hp with that cam.

Something in the 248-250's @ .050 duration would be better though.

Bowl port would be good and would increase the power
If you get edd heads, like Rob says is right on, they would need work too.

Yes I'm trying to stay cost efficient, so I guess that's my biggest thing is should I get another cam, if so what is a good cam to choose? Something with good sound and power but streetable.

-
Back