408 Cam Opinions Needed

-

srunge55

Reaction score
I am building a 408 small block for my 71 Demon. This will be a 90% street car. I was wondering what you all think of this cam?

Comp 286HR (236/242 at .050 duration and .544/.541 lift) This is a retro-fit hyd roller cam.

details on engine:
89 360 block .030 over bore
9.7 to 1 CR
air gap intake
eddy RPM aluminum heads - out of the box
750 Holley (3310) carb
1 5/8 step headers and 3 inch exhaust
3.55 gears
3300 lbs car
727 tranny with a transgo2 shift kit.

Did I go to big? I did call comp cams and the recommended one size smaller 280HR (230/236 duration and .541/.537 lift).

I ordered the cam from Summit but could change the 280HR if I wimp out on the bigger cam.

thanks of the advice,

Steve

I don't think Racer Brown is around anymore. The two cams you are looking at should be okay, but I have no experience. I've heard Comp's cams are great and their recommendation should give you at least a ballpark figure. I would personally go with the cam they suggested. Comp's website doesn't list that one for mopars, so I input what you put and Desktop Dyno says 475 hp @ 5500 and 498 lb/ft of torque at 4500 with a big fat torque curve with the 286hr.

Racer Brown ST – 21. this is what I'm using

Sorry man, gotta break balls on the answer given....or lack othere off.

srunge55, I'd go with the smaller one. You didn't list stall of the converter or tire size. That's one of the reasons I choose the smaller one. It'll make more torque, though not a problem with 400+ cubes and close to the same HP. 6*'s is not alot of difference in duration. Even less with 400+ cubes. But the slight amount less should be a good combo with the given car weight and gear ratio.

Srunge, I built a 416 for my duster, and although Im not quite ready to dyno it yet, I can tell you what cam I used. It was a comp roller, very similar to the one you're talking, 236 at .050, however my lift on the intake was right around .550, and the exhaust was .570, this is a custom grind from comp, as I talked to one of their lead techs, and he input all the info from my engine and car. With our bigger .904 lifters, the extra lift is possible at that duration. So I'd give them a call for a custom cam, and see what they say, just my 2 cents. My engine combo is edelbrock air gap intake, ported edelbrock heads, forged bottom end, 10.5 c.r., 1.5 roller rockers, tti stepped headers, 3.91 gears and 3500 ptc converter. Hope that helps

The 4" crank will eat up a lot of duration. The cam you ordered is fine.

Thanks for the advice guys. I went with the smaller cam the 280HR. 1975dartswinger, I like those desktop number. Thanks for running them.

Steve

-
Back