408 or a 416, lets start the debate

-

breakstuff

Reaction score
I've been bouncing around the idea of building a small block stroker. I have 340 blocks and I have 360 blocks. Personally I think it's 6 to 1, half dozen to the other. WHats your thoughts on what one to build?

It really doesnt matter which one. The smaller main on the 340 is better for high rpm- less bearing speed, but the large 360 main can handle a lot of load, bigger footprint on the bearing.

Power wise, they will be the same.

It really doesnt matter which one. The smaller main on the 340 is better for high rpm- less bearing speed, but the large 360 main can handle a lot of load, bigger footprint on the bearing.

Power wise, they will be the same.
thats what i was told

Go with a late 80s/early 90s LA roller block 360. You'll be miles ahead of the game.

I would save the 340's because of their value. Stroke the 360.

I agree. And if you want to unload a 340 or two, and you don't know their original origin, you should post the vin. numbers from them and possibly help someone looking for a matching block from their current car.

I have a 340 in my car now, a 73 360 in the barn, and a 91 roller 360 in the garage. I'm going to sell the first two, and stroke the third.

88-91 360's are Hyd roller and has shaft style oiling.

I'll take every weak 360 block people have.

I did the 340 to a 416 stroker....got the short block from pan to top of deck from MUSCLE MOTORS..kept the orig 340 out of the car......

Attachments

• photo (16).jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 233
  • photo (53).jpg
    179 KB · Views: 210
You get a HYD roller blosck with all the parts and it's not as much as you think.

Mopar Lifters are only $120 IIRC and they can be buzzed HARD!

Cam will cost you a little extra, maybe $150, and you can get one cut for less money than the shelf cams in most cases.

You aren't going to get the power out of a hyd flat with the same duration as a Hyd roller.

X2, on the roller block.Why screw with breaking in the flat tappets? Three oil changes with the high zinc oil @8.00 to 12.00 a quart makes up the c note difference in the cams.

You get a HYD roller blosck with all the parts and it's not as much as you think.

Mopar Lifters are only $120 IIRC and they can be buzzed HARD!

Cam will cost you a little extra, maybe $150, and you can get one cut for less money than the shelf cams in most cases.

You aren't going to get the power out of a hyd flat with the same duration as a Hyd roller.

Exactly! Roller cams bring you into the power curve sooner and keep you there longer then flat tappet cams. Also rollers don't need that additive crap that flat tappet cams do. Plus there is no real (if any) break in time for rollers and they produce less wear and tear.
I would've gone this route had I known about they at the time I was search for a block and the fact I paid next to dirt for my 340 block ($50 is what I paid for it).

-
Back