408 slowly coming together

-

jbc426

Reaction score
Lots of cleaning, painting and assembling parts. I've never done the Chevy style rocker arms that the aluminum Edelbrock's use. I have the Hughes stainless 1.6 to 1's and the hardened pushrods, but the guide plates all came loose with the bolts not tightened. I torqued the heads on per the instructions using the special ARP lube.

Is there a trick to assembling the guide plates and tightening the stud to minimize the wear on the pushrods etc? Also, I plan on running the hydraulic rollers with about a turn of pre-load.

Any tips are appreciated as this Eddie head Magnum stuff is new territory for me.

I got my original slant 6 K-member all welded up with the Firm Feel kit. It's a lot more ridged now, and I already added the lower control arm plates.

Notice the 200R4 trans just waiting for all that Mopar horsepower, and the best part is, it just bolts on to the motor like a stock 727 or 904 does. Of course, the torsion bar cross member will need a little massaging, but nothing too drastic. It fits the new Hemis too, but I cut off the starter mount so my 90degree oil filter adapter will where it used to be.

Attachments

• IMG_3831 (Large).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_3832 (Large).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3833 (Large).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3834 (Large).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3836 (Large).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3814 (Large).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 178
Posting some pictures, of the valvetrain questions asked,would help....

This is as far as I got today, but opening the rocker arm box revealed some pretty decent instructions too. Imagine that!

Attachments

• IMG_3840 (Large).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3839 (Large).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3838 (Large).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_3837 (Large).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 139
That trans gonna fit the tunnel? Nice auto O/D upgrade.

That trans gonna fit the tunnel? Nice auto O/D upgrade.

I have to make a notch in it and build a rear trans mount, as opposed to removing and somehow reinforcing the torsion bar crossmember. Treblig did a lot of the ground breaking work by utilizing the factory shifter, but I am going with a B&M cable operated shifter. Also, by using an adapter and a Powerglide bellhousing, I don't think the notching will be that bad. It's dramatically less surgery than any of the Mopar transmissions require, doesn't need a computer to run it and can handle up to 1000hp. I opted for the 750 hp version that can hold 650lbs of torque. Have a look at these pics I found on this site.

I will weld the crossmember all the way across just like my US Cartool Subframe connectors are, and will weld in a concave section to fill any gap I end up having to make. As many of you already know, the crossmember can have a pretty significant gap between the actual transmission tunnel and the crossmember. That would have to be filled with shim stock and welded to make it more ridged.

Attachments

• 200R4 tunnel surgery.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Mopar overdrive surgery.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 149
-
Back