408 stroker engine build

-
I think you're right about handling the horsepower but the generel consensus seems to be that the cost of reworking stock rods & adding the ARP bolts is about the same as buying the aftermarket rods. I'm not sure if just adding the bolts to the stock rod is all that's necessary to make them clear the block with a 4" stroke but the aftermarket I-beams usually clear without grinding on the block.

oh I understand and I'm not trying to sway you on a different path, I mean just cause I can get rods done w/arp for $145 doesn't mean everyone else can.
You're good with what you're doing now, and yes stock rods clear the bores...
and it would only save a small amount when redoing rods vs buying the whole kit w/new rods anyways, well for the most part.

:cheers:

Whichever rods you choose be sure to buy the best rod bolts available(ask me how i know)..as for h-beams being "bullet proof" lol.....

Actually stock rods with factory type bolts and nuts will not clear the bores. In fact, I dont know of any type with bolts and nuts that will clear. It's the nuts that hit. You need the cap screw "LeMans" type rods.

I would expect with all the limitations you have that power would be low (375'ish) depending on the cam.
TQ should be great though.
I would use comp's new thumpr cam, works very well and it sounds nasty.
Carb I would use would be a 750DP Holley.
I'm a Scat dealer so that is what I use. 9000 series crank, I beam rods and KB IC745 piston.

You can get (millidon) 4 bolt main caps for strength. or ARP studs to keep it a 2 bolt. They never made a 360 4 bolt. Scat would be my choice. I am building a roller block 408,procharger, and methane injection. You will need to make the bottom end bulletproof to sustain 850 horse.:banghead:

Ok, I will look into it, because I'm about to build one between now and the beginning of march.
Thank you,
-ANTHONY

Don't use the 4 bolt caps on a stock production LA block. They weaken the block, not enough material in the webbing.

You can use them and only use the two bolts, some guys cut the 4 bolt ears off.

-
Back