408 stroker oil pump

-

bricud

Cuda's Cuda
Reaction score
I was wondering what I need for an oil pump for my 408 stroker. The HV one I have will not clear the main stud bolts. Wondering what I am looking for. Also, the pickup tube attaches to one of the main bolts. Do I need a stud kit for that, or can it be placed under the bolt (between the bolt and the main cap). Not sure how this will affect alignment. Thanks.

oil pump.jpg

I was wondering what I need for an oil pump for my 408 stroker. The HV one I have will not clear the main stud bolts. Wondering what I am looking for. Also, the pickup tube attaches to one of the main bolts. Do I need a stud kit for that, or can it be placed under the bolt (between the bolt and the main cap). Not sure how this will affect alignment. Thanks.

View attachment 1716181594
Common issue- lots of threads about this.
Basically, you have to lose the washer and spot grind the pump housing for clearance.
Some people have contacted ARP directly and requested their special low profile bolt- they are aware of the issue, but don't seem too anxious to correct their bolt kit.

I had studded mains, lost the washer and cut the stud. Tip. If a main cap grabs the crankshaft when torquing, open the holes up a little. ARP bolts and studs are true in body diameter. Unlike the factory bolts. I don't have a picture, but if you compare them, you will see what I mean.

Unfortunately you may have to use a factory bolt there...
That’s the easy solution & not the only one.
Common issue- lots of threads about this.
Basically, you have to lose the washer and spot grind the pump housing for clearance.
Some people have contacted ARP directly and requested their special low profile bolt- they are aware of the issue, but don't seem too anxious to correct their bolt kit.
Correct! ARP has instructions on the amount of clearance they like to see which is .060 (IIRC) in there instructions.

This what I did, a little of both. I ground down the head of the bolt a little bit and clearances the oil pump housing a little bit.
Loose the washer, that is also in the ARP instructions when you get the main stud kit.

I wouldn't be concerned about using a HV oil pump in your engine. A standard oil pump will be more than adequate for the application.

Tom

OK. I removed the washer from the main bolt and when the oil pump is flush with the main cap where it is bolted, the part that goes down into the cap where the oil pump drive is does not come in flush contact. It is hard to explain so I hope the picture helps. It doesn't need to be ground as the pump no longer hits the bolt. Do I have a bad pump??

Thanks.

pump issue pic.jpg

All that you are trying to achieve is the flush mounting of the 2 surfaces without interference from another part of the pump body. Right?

In part, yes, but my understanding is that the part circled above should not have a gap between the mounting neck and the block, but should be flush as well.

Oil pump instr.jpg

My opinion, if you are worried about alignment, I suppose you could push the oil pump shaft up in there and make sure that it is free, then torque your pump bolts . Still have your old oil pump? Bet it doesn't go all the way either. Did you install the oil pump gasket?

-
Back