408 Stroker Question

-

junior

Reaction score
As you may have read in my thread re.. New Ride IN The Family my son purhased a 1980 Road Runner Clone which has a cluthflite trans, the engine is a 408- 360 based stroker, the cluthflite is comming out and will be replaced with a buillt 727 with 3500 torq.. Now 360's are externaly balanced and the torq. we have is for a 340 which is internally balanced, now I've been told that the stroker kit changes it to internal balance. Is this true? If not would an after market flex plate with a balance weight be what we need to use this torq?

I have the same engine, i could be wrong and if so someone will correct me, but if you look at the front crankshaft counterbalancer, you should be able to tell as if it is still externally balanced the balancer will be huge, you CAN get a 408 stroker kit internally balanced OR externally balanced, I bought my kit from Indy cylinder Head and had the machine shop that built my motor balanced it for me, Internal balanced is the only way to go IMO, I am not familer with the clutchflite, but did it have any weights on it, cause on a 727 that the motor is Externally balanced there would be weights welded to the torque convertor, hope this helps.

I have the same engine, i could be wrong and if so someone will correct me, but if you look at the front crankshaft counterbalancer, you should be able to tell as if it is still externally balanced the balancer will be huge, you CAN get a 408 stroker kit internally balanced OR externally balanced, I bought my kit from Indy cylinder Head and had the machine shop that built my motor balanced it for me, Internal balanced is the only way to go IMO, I am not familer with the clutchflite, but did it have any weights on it, cause on a 727 that the motor is Externally balanced there would be weights welded to the torque convertor, hope this helps.

same thing just happened to me Duplicate thread, I think the website provider is having issues

Cluthcflite has no torq uses a clutch, balancer is an after market and is very small thank you. any body elses please chime in

A stroker kit will only change it to internally balanced if they used the forged crank. I'm not 100% sure but the cast crank should be externally balanced. Either way you should be able to tell by the harmonic balancer. If it is externally balanced the harmonic balancer will have some way of having weight removed like holes, removable plates, flats.

ps what is a clutchflite? I have never heard of this. The 727 is also referred to as a Torqueflite

Cluthflite is a modified 727 that uses a clutch no torq. clutch to launch to change gears down shifting, upshifting all auto, kind of old school but very cool to drive and launches like rocket... lol...

I have an Eagle cast crank and the engine is now internal balanced, you can balance either, forged or cast.

I bought a 408 and it's extrenally balanced, i put a B&M flex plate with a TCI convertor but to be honest I've never heard of a cluthflite trans.

I bought a 408 and it's extrenally balanced, i put a B&M flex plate with a TCI convertor but to be honest I've never heard of a cluthflite trans.

A lot of you guys are asking about the clutchflite, they were a custom built trans---modified 727 my question was not about the trans it was whether or not I need a special flex plate to use a 340 torq. on a 360 based 408 stroker to mate with a toqueflite 727?

The balancer sounds like it is neutral balance. You can tell the ones that are externally balanced they have holes drilled or notches machined out front or rear of balancer.

I think if you check that the balancer is neutral balance you have nothing to worry about with the 340 torque converter.

Thank You zhandful I see that you read the thread through and have answered my origanal question and thanz to all other replies. Boy it seem we get off topic on some threads real easy... lol...
If anyone would like to tallk about the clutchflite I'll start a new thread

Just for added safety check that the flywheel is neutral balance also when removing it. Should be no holes drilled or weight removed on it if its internally balanced

My 408 is internal balanced(Eagle H-beam kit)and my t.convertor doesn,t have the weights on it(internal balanced)You,ll have to check your Dampner to see which one it is?You might have an aftermarket dampner?Pics would help identify.

Thank You zhandful I see that you read the thread through and have answered my origanal question and thanz to all other replies. Boy it seem we get off topic on some threads real easy... lol...
If anyone would like to tallk about the clutchflite I'll start a new thread

Yes, and if you had read through my post you would see that I had answered your question too. :wink: You don't think that you can casually mention some obscure Mopar transmission without getting questions around here do you? LOL

junior, I noticed the small damper on the front of your engine. If I had to guess, it's probably internally balanced. judging by the rest of the Volare's build, it wasn't a hack job so i doubt they went for a cheaper cast crank/externally balanced combo. I'll have to look at the flywheel next time I'm back at my shop and see if there's weights on it.

As far as the clutchflite goes..... that's heavy trans. Just took it out of the van a few hours ago. As soon as I get my hands on a digital camera, I'll start taking some pics of it. If you start a thread on it, please let me know.

Thanks for everything. I'm still tired as hell.

Wylde1.

-
Back