408 stroker with my 904 tranny from my 318

-

Confusedcuda

Reaction score
hello, was thinking about getting a 408 (stroked 360) for my barracuda. If I want to use my original 904 that was behind my 318 and If the 408 is externally balanced, do I need to just get the special B and M flex plate(ext. balanced) and thats it or do I need to get a certain harmonic balancer and any idea who makes those thanks.

hello, was thinking about getting a 408 (stroked 360) for my barracuda. If I want to use my original 904 that was behind my 318 and If the 408 is externally balanced, do I need to just get the special B and M flex plate(ext. balanced) and thats it or do I need to get a certain harmonic balancer and any idea who makes those thanks.
The B&M plate would be the easiest thing to do. You'll have to have an externally balanced balancer too. Is it going to use LA or Magnum external weight balance?

Not sure the gentleman is supposed to let me know. I know it has Magnum heads. So a ext. balance flexplate and harmonic balancer. I will post when he responds, Thanks

Not sure the gentleman is supposed to let me know. I know it has Magnum heads. So a ext. balance flexplate and harmonic balancer. I will post when he responds, Thanks
are you sure the previous owner didn't have it balanced when it was built?

I'll find more out. Is there a difference of plate and balancer if it a Magnum block?

Is this a stock 904? If so the stroker will probably kill it. Don’t get rid of the 904, but it will need some attention to survive behind a healthy stroker. Nothing really crazy, but quality parts and some changes to weak areas. I’m going to a 904 from 727 probably running more power than you are. The 904 is much lighter with a good bit of it rotating weight and if you damage the sprag the drum should survive the event.

Yes fury, I am going to have the tranny rebuilt. I am not going to crazy with the stroker, just your basic 375 hp one. I had my yellow cuda which is in my avatar now and I had a 340 with the 904. the 340 was somewhere around 300 to 325 hp. Had no issues then. Any pointers on what to do with the 904. Thanks

Just learning it now myself. Will probably just get one built by one of the recommended guys. So far it seems there can be issues with converter hub/pump drive/pump support area. Other than that quality rebuild parts frictions/steels/seals etc. should keep you out of harms way. That it what I have read to date. Most of the things I have read are not as specific as I would like to know. To be able do it myself. More comfortable refreshing one that has already been upgraded. I have been inside refreshened my 727 twice with no issues. Had a piston seal wear out the first time. So I refreshed it. The second time I hurt the sprag and cracked the case. Had to swap everything over to my spare case and install a better bolt in sprag. The car was a street car when I built it originally so it is an auto shift trans. Perfectly happy with the use I got out of the 727, just want RMV, lower weight and much less chance of an explosion. I do run a blanket.

I have not built a stroked 360 (5.9L) but my research says that most stroker kits are internally balanced set ups. The engine builder you choose can verify all of that and get recommendations on which brands of stroker kits people like members on here are using before you buy. You will need neutral balanced harmonic dampener and flexplate with an internally balanced stroker set up. The 318 flexplate you have should work with your planned beefed 904.

a stroked 3604000 crank (eagle part number) is made with a certain bobweight target, ie. 2150g. That means its most likely built with a heavier bobweight than a cast 360 crank (that needs a special 360 balancer and convertor/flywheel) so it may actually be more than needed for common lighweight stroker pistons so it can be drilled to lighten and balance with no tungsten. Ssk the guy what trans heas running and see if hes using a weighted flexplate or convertor.

-
Back