408 stroker

-
Reaction score
I'm building a 408 stroker motor I have the block, crank, intake, Eldlebrock heads, pistons, rings, etc. etc. etc.

The heads need mechanical rocker arms/mechanical cam and I need to pick out a good cam. Have you or know anyone who has built a 408 stroker, what did they use? I would like to use roller tipped mech. tappets.

Online Hot(Chevy & Ford)Rod magazine did a 408 build up and they used a crane cams 260/266 lift and they did over 600 horse on the dyno. But that was with W2 heads and a dual quad hi rise intake.

Any advise from someone who has been there?

Thats probably a good stick, but why buy an off the shelf cam? Its kind of like Torque converters, with proper input you can maximize results. For a few more bucks, get one made up just for your car, elevation, CR, usage, etc. Ive been very happy with the one ground for my 408. Try Mike Ware at Muscle Motors, it out performed the original off the shelf unit I had with the build.

I have just driven my 408 on Saturday, and wow, I'm still on an adrenaline rush!!! I have the Edelbrock heads and I used the crane silver roller rockers with roller tip. I had Hughes custom grind my roller cam to match my combination and I just can't be happier. Now it's time for suspension work.

Cam depends on usage, transmission, gearing, and a few other things. Basically, stay around 250°@.050 for stock like idle and mad torque, go 260°@.050 for good baalnced setup and idle that may not run power brakes, go bigger for more power and worse manners. "Big" to me is 280-290°@.050 for what you have.

I built a 408 and depending on your driving I would make the block solid at least half way up, run an oil cooler and use Cometic head gaskets I would also make it oil threw the push rods and open up the oil passages in the lifter valley as well I would not run a electric waer pump nor a gear drive unite for the timming just get yourself a good timming chain, one mistake i did make was not buying a roller cam and having one ground to my specs those ore 2 things i wish i did do, Cheers and good luck the 408 is a fun motor mine makes 540 fpt on pump gas with regular eddy heads also get a good torque converter say one ffrom Dynamic in Delware

-
Back