408 stroker

-

75dart

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody could tell me were I could get a 408 stroker rotating assembly for the lowest price.

I found that Ohio crankchaft has the stroker kit for 950 and thats a little cheaper than mancini racing. Thanks for the help.

Sounds dumb? Nope. Ethier you know or you don't. Has nothing to do with how smart you are.

A stroker refurs to changing the cranks stroke. More or less, allmost allways more here. For the reason of increaeing the size of the engine.
The 273 - 318 - 340 all have a crank the same size. It has a 3.31 stroke. The 360 has a larger stroke on the crank. It is 3.58. But a smaller bore than a 340. 4 inch vs 4.04
By taking the 360 crank, which has larger crank journals and machining it down to fit the other engines, the longer stroke you have increases the size (Displacement) of the engine. A 360 crank into a 340 engine with no over bore becomes a 367 and at .030 overbore, 372, @ .060 overbore, 378.
Most comon stroker crank kits have the 4 inch stroke crank. A 340 stock bore is 4.10.2 and @.030 = 416, @ .060 = 422.5 inchs.
See? Nice and easy increase of displacement. More stroke ='s more torque.
This is why the 360 is a popular engine to do stock. You can bore it out (With sonic checking) to a stock 340. (372 cid.)

You can also stroke down. This is mostly done to fit "In the rules" of a certain racing group. Sometimes the actual block is needed to start with, other times they just want a max of 5 ltr.s like in the 70's Trans Am racing circit. All 3 American auto makers had to have a engine displaceing 5 ltrs max. The bore and stroke combo didnot matter, just the size of the engine in it's final form.
For Ford, it was easy off the shelf 302. Chevy and MoPar changed there strokes. MoPar retained the 340 block and decreased the stroke to meet the rules. They could have used a 273 or 318 bore size. But they opted for the big bore short stroke hi rev combo.

Shorter stroke equals hi rev redline HP and slower piston speeds. Also less torque. Where as the big long stroke is just the oposite.
A longer stroke also makes peak power earlier. Very nice for street heavy cars looking to go fast.

CERWIN, wecome aboard. There are no dumb questions here. We take'em all. Besides...if dumb questions were not allowed..they I would have booted me along time ago. Also. Terry.

-
Back