415hp/395ft 318 Article in engine masters mag

-

GoodysGotaCuda

Mr. Goody
Reaction score
Pretty good little writeup on a budget 318. basically .040, KB pistons, Comp .525 cam, barely touched smog 360 heads and a airgap :headbang:

I'm tweaking my mill a little while the car is down, probably a very similar setup. just passing it along :salute:

Not a bad write up.....I think I'd be making more HP with mine if I was running a set of KB pistons but I think I'm doing okay with my 318. It's about time the 318 got some respect over all it is a better design than the Ford 302 but the 302 has such huge base following because of the 'stang it's a "good" motor.......a 318 will out run a 302 anyday when built to the same quality.

If you have that mag they do a chevy 305 build, a 302 with Trickflow Alum heads, and the 318 with barely touched stock heads. All 'budget builds' for each brand.

318 had the 305 by 43hp and 44 ft/lb
318 had the alum head 302 by 19hp and 17ft/lb

stick some ootb Eddies on that 318 and watch that 302 get set to the side even more. :headbang:

how 'bout them apples for a lowly 318 :D

I agree with you totally......the 318 is a darn good motor for a little cubed SB and I think people are seeing that now. The downfall for the 318 when it comes to aftermarket and why I feel they got a "bad rap" is the 3.91" cylinder bores. It doesn't have that magic 4" cylinder bore and the aftermarket pistons companies shy'd away from it. With the new cylinders heads out now and the fact that all the SB parts can basically interchange the 318 has is gaining in popularity. The fact that finding virgin and/or decent 340 blocks for a resonalbe price has helped too. I like my 318 and I'm really looking forward to getting the 318 stroker built. I wanna try to rig up a mirror or polished plate to reflect the block stampings to piss people off with a 10 sec 318.

What mag is this Goody?

This is just where 360 heads come in. I'm not sure where fully ported 318 heads would do, but it would be interesting to find out what a set of done up 302 and/or Magnum heads OOTB would pull.

You reading this Steve D.?
Iquiring minds want to know.

lol i know, i think im gonna play with the 318 for a little longer.

here is a 11.22 n/a "318" pass

http://4secondsflat.com/Vegas win.asx

318/375 CID basic engine specs:

3.970 Bore 318 +.060

3.79 stroke Callies Crank

Callies Rods

Diamond 13.4:1 Pistons, tool steel pins and rings

EQ/FBO Stage 3 Race Heads

REV 2.00/1.60 SS Race Valves

Schubeck flat tappet solid lifters

Smith Brothers push rods

Racer Brown 1.6/1.5 Magnum roller rocker system

Racer Brown STX 20 Cam 267 at 50, 576/540 lift

Cometic head gaskets

FBO Ignition System

Race Demon 775 Carburetor

M-1 Mopar Magnum intake

Aerospace Components Ultra 350 GPH fuel pump

Aerospace Components Remote Water pump system

Chassis:

3108# 66 Barracuda

456 gear Dana 60

29.5 x 11.5 MT Tires

Vanishing Point ladder bars

Denny's Drive shaft

FBO Race 727

Dynamic 4700 convertor

Another nice link by the kid!
Good show Goody.

Don's stroked 318 is nice. I liked it better when it was just a striaght up 318 cid. (Overbore not with standing.) He ran pretty well with that.

rumblefish360 said:
Another nice link by the kid!
Good show Goody.

Don's stroked 318 is nice. I liked it better when it was just a striaght up 318 cid. (Overbore not with standing.) He ran pretty well with that.

Yea once the stock stroke is gone and it gets over like a basic bore....cant really call it a '318' anymore imo

After reading through the challnge, I sure wish I could find out the dates they dyno test these things. The shoop they tested in, World engines is only down the block from me. Less than 9 miles.

i loved this article thanks a ton this will be my first engine build (im 17) and i am on a pretty tight budget and vie been lookin for a good build up on a budget and since last night i realized i already had 360 heads i think im gunna go for this 1 thanks alot

Yea I Seen That Write Up I Loved It Everyone Always Hates On The 318 Im Pretty Much Going To Do The Same Build They Did Cant Beat It!!!

The headers didn't make the engine. Any long tube header would have very similar results.

Chuck

ok,this is for a reproduction block?What about a used one?Can we go the same route on a fairly used 318?And how much exactly does all this cost?including machine work,because obviously,not all of us have the luxury of a machine shop like the builders in these articles.

Maybe some people around here will start listing to Bobby Joseph who has been building these motors for years before this article even came out,and start believing in the power that can be made from these plants,mrmopartech

What does a "Budget Build" like this usually cost? rough estimates of parts and labor assuming you already have a 318 laying around...Thanks.

That "4seconds" 318 should be running 8s with a buildup like that. :)

Doesnt anyone remember the "Cubes of Doom" article from the mid 90s Mopar Ac....

Bill Merrits 67 Dart 270 Hardtop (yes an A body) from Rockingham NC, blows of 427 Comaros running Heads Up at the strip.

He runs 10.86 at 114mph!!!!!!!! (back in them days, who knows what now),
So its Hemi then?....No, So its a 440 with Gas?....No, So its a stroked 360?.....No.

ITS A STOCK BORE AND STROKE 273!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Running Trw 11.5 slugs, an MP 508" juice cam!!!!, set of 340 X heads (with bore notch), a single plane manifold, 750 Holley, 904 and 5.50 gears, BTW it even uses the STOCK leaf springs (was a 273 4bbl car) and No tubs for the small slicks. And Definitely no Nitrous or other cheats.

So is that Fast for Cheap or what??
Just imagine what he could do with a 318.

loyal0ne said:
What does a "Budget Build" like this usually cost? rough estimates of parts and labor assuming you already have a 318 laying around...Thanks.

The cost of pistons and rings with a blanceing, bearings, gasket kit and for good measure, a oil pump. Price these out and the possible 3.58, 360 cube crank and you'll have your bill.

The problem to putting a number or price tag on this is the price charged by shops in different parts of the country. Then again, the shop itself can vary alot. Even in my own county, the difference can be larger than one would excepct.

didnt mopar muscle do a write up on a 318 a few years back? i found this build up yesterday, and considering doing it..either that or rebuild the 360 i just got.. decisions decisions..

Haha razorback, true its all about decisions. I have 318s, 360s, and big blocks, and I still think of ideas every now and then to just complicate things more.

well i have forged trw pistons for the 318 and can get a forged 340 crank, and have the heads off the 360..so i am sorta leaning that way..

-
Back