416 build what cam ?

-
The longer 4 inch arm pulls the peak torque/h.p. rpms,way down. Wish you had the heads,off the 340.Those would be a excellent set,ported correctly. Simple , a bigger engine needs more cam and cyl head airflow. To make your combo work with a 416,need a minimum of 250+ cfm,on the intake side.Cam at .050,minimum 250+@ .050. Starting points.Compression ratio,forged bottom end,more cam better.

I built a mild 422 combo some years ago that was built with the understanding that upgrading the top end later would be possible: 340 + .060 (sonic tested), SRP dished pistons in at zero deck, open chamber 596s ported by me (2.05/1.65, what I would call "stage II" level - bowl work,a little pinch work, estimated around 245-250cfm @ .500"), factory rods, cast crank, hydraulic flat tappet Crane cam (H-302-2), RPM intake, 870 Avenger VS carb, cheap 1 5/8 headers. It wasn't dyno'd but the E body it's in has over 10K miles now, driven distance (NH to Carlisle, PA), pump gas, gets over 17mpg, and runs 12.80s @ 109 in the 1/4 on street tires witha terrible 60'. The car weighs 3800lbs and it runs 3.23s and a 2500 convertor. I'm guessing it's around 450hp and a TON of torque. It's never needed to be upgraded...lol.
IMO - if you are thinking about changing heads later - don't use a flat top piston. Take the hit in static ratio "for now", and cam according to the heads you're running. These engines make power low down. In order to make big power higher up you have to give them stuff to breath - intake side and exh side, and you have to get the ports moving by running a cam that works with them. the MP .528 is a small flat tappet even for a 340 stroke. After lash and valve train angles it's only about .485". Yo uare much better served with something larger - if you want to stay cheap the MP .590 would be a better choice. It's IMO still and antique and you'll want to be very careful about degreeing it, but it's going to make more power than the .528. Remember - the stroke increase is 18%. So a safe way to look at it is everything else has to be 18% bigger. the cam - .485" x 18% is .572... the carb 750cfm x 18% is 885, etc...

I know you originally just asked about the cam, so I wont get into the engine combo to avoid adding to any confusion.......I'm not going to try and change your mind on things or spend your money...lol, just gonna add a few thoughts for things to be aware of.......

From the looks of your 340 combo and times, you probably were crossing the stripe in 2nd gear around 6300 r's give or take. Sounds just about right with that combo. You have a worthy goal as far as the new times are concerned, but a few things to know about what that entails,

Very close to 500hp needed...
1.53/1.55 60ft times...
Somewhere near 97mph at the stripe...

Your "new" current combo will likely fall short of the power required, but that's something you can work at over time. You also may need to tweak the chassis some as you'll be hitting it with a lot more torque.

Back to my original concern about the power range and converter. Now that your going to be running a mph in the 90's, you'll be using a good bit of third gear. Assuming 5500 shift points, the rpm drops will be well under 4000 and you may be riding the converter quite a bit of the run if my guess on stall speed is close.

Good Luck Pat. Thanks for letting me ramble.:)

U guys r great and I love the rambling so keep it going part of me wants to go back to my old combo and step up the comp and run e85 will be cheaper in parts other side wants to go big??? I know that's not cheap still trying to convince myself to drop the cash and be patient thanks again

i do not have any cam as of now looking for best choice e85 is everywhere in miami fl want to keep comp up and try something diff plus it runs cooler for hot summers 3.10p-3,30 e85 -8.00 race gas

is there anything wrong with the purple shafts .590/590 besides the old school single pattern

Actually,Mopar Muscle just tested several Purple Shafts(solids),along with other grinds in a 416.Check it out.The Purples hold out decent,on a budget.Check out the newstand,Pat.

Nothing wrong except old technology and perhaps (roll the dice on it) finish quality. I don't use MP cams. Not because of price or performance, but because of quality control. I stopped using them when the things I was measuring were so far off it made me wonder how bad the things I didn't take the time to measure were. They got more of a bad rap because they were ground so horribly than because the lobe designs didn't work. Now my opinion is take advantage of technology where you can: pistons, machining, and camshaft are three of the biggest areas that can be improved for relatively minor additional cost.

-
Back