416" harmonic balancer needed

-

prodart340

Reaction score
trying to finish up this build and at the last minute realized the PRW balancer is 1.187" thick and the factory one is only .950" [measuring the body]. This makes the back side of the body hit the timing marks on the timing chain cover:wack: So can anyone give me a manufacturer that has one that will fit and is zero balanced out of the box????????

Hmm, I am running a 1.60 thick damper on my 340 with the stock timing cover, later model style. Its way thicker than stock yet fits great. You got the crank timing gear on the crank?

I have an ATI dampner(wasn,t cheap)on my 408,I had to get a universal pully from Mancini,s cause the ATI dampner was 1/2 thicker than a stock 360 one.Hope this helps.

P.S I have the part # for the universal pully if interested?PM me.

The problem isn't that it's too thick. It's that they made the snout too short. I have one holding down papers on my bench that Hughes sold me. Hughes engines sells a spacer for it for a few bucks that will make it clear the timing cover. Only problem I see with using it is when the spacer is used it does clear the timing cover but throws the pulley's out of alignment by about 3/8". I finally gave up on the PRW POS and bought a Romac. Sorry I don't know the part # of it right off hand. In fact they don't even make Romac's anymore. I got lucky and found an new old stock one. Fits perfect.

Oh yeah I heard PRW has the fitment problem straightened out and you might be able to send yours back for one that fits. Can't verify that though. Do a search for them online and get their ph. # and call and see what they say.

Ran a Mopar sfi on my 416 nothing fancy but gets the job done...

The problem isn't that it's too thick. It's that they made the snout too short. I have one holding down papers on my bench that Hughes sold me. Hughes engines sells a spacer for it for a few bucks that will make it clear the timing cover. Only problem I see with using it is when the spacer is used it does clear the timing cover but throws the pulley's out of alignment by about 3/8". I finally gave up on the PRW POS and bought a Romac. Sorry I don't know the part # of it right off hand. In fact they don't even make Romac's anymore. I got lucky and found an new old stock one. Fits perfect.

Oh yeah I heard PRW has the fitment problem straightened out and you might be able to send yours back for one that fits. Can't verify that though. Do a search for them online and get their ph. # and call and see what they say.
exactly,since I already have the march pullies,I'd rather find a dampner that fits

Are you sure they didn't ship you a big block damper/balancer? They have a shorter snout, which sucks it into the timing cover. But it will fit on the crank!

I've been using Pioneer SFI neutral race balancers on my internally balanced 360 for years. Summit carries them and I believe Jeg's sells them under their label.

Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PIO-872037/

exactly,since I already have the march pullies,I'd rather find a dampner that fits

I know what you mean. I searched high and low before I finally found one that fit right. The biggest problem is most only give an outside diameter so you don't know if they are the same thickness as stock.

Are you sure they didn't ship you a big block damper/balancer? They have a shorter snout, which sucks it into the timing cover. But it will fit on the crank!

I've been using Pioneer SFI neutral race balancers on my internally balanced 360 for years. Summit carries them and I believe Jeg's sells them under their label.

Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PIO-872037/

Man that's a heck of a good price on a SFI rated balancer. Is it the same thickness as a stock balancer so it doesn't affect the pulley alignment?

Man that's a heck of a good price on a SFI rated balancer. Is it the same thickness as a stock balancer so it doesn't affect the pulley alignment?

I can't say for sure because I never compared the two. I've run a Moroso aluminum lower pulley with a belt to the alternator and electric water pump ever since I started using them.
I don't have an accurate way to measure for a comparison to an OEM balancer while the Pioneer is on the engine! But they also make OEM replacement balancers so they should know the proper offset.

I can't say for sure because I never compared the two. I've run a Moroso aluminum lower pulley with a belt to the alternator and electric water pump ever since I started using them.
I don't have an accurate way to measure for a comparison to an OEM balancer while the Pioneer is on the engine! But they also make OEM replacement balancers so they should know the proper offset.
the "thin" balancer,which is what i had before the stroke, is .950" thick, the pos prw is an ample 1.185" thick. the snout lengths are the samebut you cannot seat the balancer on the crank timing gear because the back of the balancer body hits the timing mark area on the cover. If you could be so kind as to measure your balancer for thickness , I'd really appreciate it. in search of sfi rated balancer .950" thick. Thanks, Mike

I can't get a true measurement because the radiator interferes with the opposite end of the dial caliper. But the damper/balancer ring is less than .840" thick. Pioneer part # is 872037 (neutral balance). The catalog I have lists the thickness as 1.20", but that is obviously a misprint. It probably applies to their SFI 360 external balaced version. Just to confirm the measurement, you can ask whoever you buy one from to take an actual measurement right out of the box before buying it. Mine has almost 3/8" clearance between the ring and the timing marks on the cover.

An OEM 360 balancer/damper is around 1 1/8" thick and I never had an issue on any engine. It is very possible that the one you have is machined incorrectly, possibly using incorrect measurements/specs.

It is very possible that the one you have is machined incorrectly, possibly using incorrect measurements/specs.

That's the problem with these PRW units. Took them 3 tries to get it right and there are still some old ones that are machined wrong floating around out there.

That's the problem with these PRW units. Took them 3 tries to get it right and there are still some old ones that are machined wrong floating around out there.

That's the one I want to get but if I get a bad one I'll be pissed.
I may just roll down the street to mancini with a stock balancer to compare and get something there. I dont need any grief.

this one is brand new right out of the box, directly from prw

Hummm... A few months ago we had a thread going about the problems with these and Mad Dart called them and they told him they knew about the problem and had the correct one in the works and within a couple months would be out. Looks like they either dropped the ball and don't have it out yet or tried to pawn off one of the mis-machined ones on you. That sure sucks.

That's the one I want to get but if I get a bad one I'll be pissed.
I may just roll down the street to mancini with a stock balancer to compare and get something there. I dont need any grief.

If you live close to Mancini's I'd highly suggest going there and matching one up.

Tci rattler fits stk pulleys and cover great

Yep....like I mentioned...Get a TCI Rattler (if you have the money) and be done with it....no hassles...no spacers needed...fits all stock pulleys, wont come apart...and its sfi approved...

-
Back