416 stroker questions

-

prostr340duster

Reaction score
Talked with a engine builder yesterday. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Starting with a 69 340 block 30 over.

Good place to get rotating assembly?
He recommended srp pistons? He said kb's tend to be a little sloppy. He also talked about going 40 over to clean things up and have a fresh bore.

Presently have stock x heads and I think I'm going with some eddy's.

Cam? street strip car. presently I have the purple shaft 292- 509

Thanks

cam comp xe275HL at a least...

never used a MP509 , although I got one.

scat sells a complete rotating assembly with forged or cast cranks...forged I beam rods which do not need any clearances of the bores, and all the bearings and rings....their kit comes with KB pistons...

nice my 360 is 40 over so all i have to do is get that stroker crank

To get a 416 you will have to go 4.040 anyway.

4.04 is a standard bore 340. His is currently .030" over (4.070" bore) which would be 416 CI with a 4" crank. If you go .040" over (4.080") with a 4" crank it will be 418 CI.

The Scat kit is good, that is what I used, just make sure you don't get it balanced by Scat. They do a lousy job and won't refund your money when you complain. I had my shop turn my new Scat crank 10/10 to get it perfect but most I talked to didn't have that issue. Just budget money in to have your local shop go over everything in the kit and have them balance it correctly.

The Scat kit came with kb745 forged pistons. My shop measured them all and they were right on the money, same with the rods. And the Scat I-beams required no block clearancing; plenty of room to spare.

Get the closed chamber Edelbrocks, the "360" version. If you can afford porting Shady Dell Speed can sell them to you ported, that is what I did; not cheap though.

EngineAssembled_shrunk.jpg

-
Back