422 stroker, Windage tray or Crank Scraper???

-

Dustedu2

Reaction score
Engine is being assembled and I want to use a tray or scraper. What has been working best for those using either? And what brand? Thanks!!! :read2:

I used a HUGHES girdle on my 410. They say it acts as a crank spacer also.

If you did go with a girdle it would need to be LINE HONED with it installed and torqued in place.

There are 2 ways to install it. 1st is easier but they say less effective by using washers/shims to get it high enough to rest on top of the caps. The 2nd way is to have your machinist KISS the cap with a mill so the girdle lays on them using LESS shims/washers. When it is torqued down it will add more strength because it has a semi flat surface to rest on. With the 4" Crank you will need to clearance the girdle also because the rods will smack it during rotation, nothing that a die grinder cant fix.

Or you can use a Kevco pan has both built in and nice baffles too. I did that on my 416:)

Or you can use a Kevco pan has both built in and nice baffles too. I did that on my 416:)

I saw the Kevco and wondered how it worked. I may consider that or the scraper listed above. Thanks for the feedback! More welcome to chime in.

Not many Stocker guys use a tray that I know of. I've been using the Isihara-Johnson Crank Scrapers myself for a couple of years and am happy with it. I just don't have any back-to-back comparisons to show their worth. It just seems like a conventional windage tray will actually trap a lot of oil above it. The more louvers and screens/holes, the better.
But with deeper oil pans, the oil is kept further away from the crank anyway reducing the chance of it getting churned up by the crank. I run 5 quarts in my 8 qt. Milodon pan. 6 probably wouldn't hurt either.

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/prod01.html, All the F.A.S.T. guys use the scrapers

Yeah baby! That's my 65 Barracuda and my friend's 63 Valiant at the bottom of the Mopar page................glad Ishihara/Johnson used the photos (4 years ago)!

I'll be looking at another set potentially with my next motor (they show that they do stroker combo's now as well). It will depend on whether or not I run Hughes' main stud girdle.

For a street engine I use the factory tray and pan and they are just fine. If you use the Kevko pan, I would not worry about it or run the I/J scraper with it.

I agree with Mioper, but I like the extra qt of oil and decent ground room, the baffles and scapers are nice and help above 5k I would say. So when you really do get on it it helps some.

But the extra qt is a nice option:)

Looked at the kevko M302 pan but don't see the scraper,does it come seperate, also how do go about checking oil level, do they supply or does stock work.
I've tried emailing kevko but they don't answer

thx

Call Kevin, pan also has a site / drip plug for oil level

-
Back