426 Hemi

-
I remember seeing John Force in 1978 or 79 in Tulsa he was driving a chevy bodied funny car. Had a two man crew, ate hot dogs cooked over a camper grill and laughed about if he didn't win he would have to call home for gas money to the next race. It was cool being a kid and actually getting to rub elbows with now racing legends.

.....NOTHING beats the heart-stopping visual impact of a Gen II Hemi when the hood is raised.

this about sums it up.

Especially when they're stuffed into a street driven flat hooded A-body!

Markh3_zps2f449107.jpg

BayerMM-1_zps52680763.jpg

472-4-2_zps57bd306d.jpg

Best%20Pic%204.5%20c_zpsr2ym7zt7.jpg

Having a 426 is a bucket list item for me. My uncle had a '69 Super Bee with a 426 and a four speed that he bought new off the showroom floor back in 1969. I've always heard stories about it and how he would always street race it and how he did everything he could to get it to go faster. Just idling in the driveway it would rattle the china in the house, and you could hear him from coming into town at night from miles away. The engine would be out of the car every few months cause he either blew it up while racing or wanted to change something to squeeze a few more horsepower out of it. I don't know everything he did to it but it had a .620" lift roller cam, 13:1 compression, dual quads (obviously), it had headers too.

Unfortunately, the car is long gone now. It was sold back in the late 80's or early 90's (I'm forgetful) and he regrets selling it every day. Even though I wasn't around to experience the Bee, I'm convinced I have to own a 426 Hemi at some point in my life. For me, it's the holy grail of engines. Sure, a 440 might make the same power at a much cheaper cost but the 426 is a legend and a total jaw dropper when the hood goes up. There isn't another engine on this planet that looks as badass as a gen II Hemi. There's just something about them that's special, something that other engines don't have. Since I'm a college student and I don't have the spare coin for a 426, I get to stick with my 340 for a long time. After all, it is the Hemi of the small blocks which is good enough for me until I can step up to a 426.

Many don't like it but I have a Gen 1 354 Hemi in my '69 dart. I no longer race, the car was built to cruise. I have to tell you that people will climb over each other to get a look and when I start it up everyone stops and looks. There is just something about the Hemi engine that stirs peoples imagination.View attachment 20141004_133432.jpg

SCHWING!!

index.php

That gets me sprung every time!

The Hemi that is!

OK, and the babe too!

Alright! Alright! It's a two-fer!

This hemi was street driven 3-4 times a week for 20+ years. 11-1 comp, solid lifters,830 Holley.only slight lash adjustments made in all that time. Then a valve started sticking so in went another hemi....

Attachments

• IMG267.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG259.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 465
For me yes the 426 Hemi is the Holy Grail its what I grew up dreaming about. My dreams have now come true as I fired my Hemi for the first time yesterday. Woohoo nothing quite has that sound or gets that much respect out on the street. HEMI'S simple have street and track cred period.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 434
Best looking Gen 1 A-body install I have seen. Nice intake!

Thanks Spun, It seems to attract a lot of traffic at cruise nights. The manifold is an old PAW item. It runs great for what it is.... a fun cruiser.

Many don't like it but I have a Gen 1 354 Hemi in my '69 dart. I no longer race, the car was built to cruise. I have to tell you that people will climb over each other to get a look and when I start it up everyone stops and looks. There is just something about the Hemi engine that stirs peoples imagination.View attachment 1714816619

Since I have a dual carb 331 hangin on my engine stand, I love them. Yours looks great.

Lets see.I will compare the 426 hemi with a B-52 bomber. Both were laid out by a small group of engineers on the fly in order to meet an impending deadline. Both were designed using slide rules and drafting tables. Both immediately rose to the top of their fields. Both remained on top long after they went out of production. And both,dispite being 50+years old,are not to be trifled with. Still getting it done!
And today's engines,while impressive,are not fifty years worth of technology impressive. Compare a rotary dial land line phone to the latest cell phones. And yet I never "dropped"a call using a land line.LOL.
I have a 392(gen1) two 426s(gen2) and two 5.7s (ones in boxes). Guess which one I don't trust! That's right. The one that had an intake seat just decide to drop out!

ouch... they have a list of engine codes that had that seat problem on those 5.7 's for future reference...

Not really ever been a Hemi fan. Nor a big block fan for that matter. I've been more about power gained per dollar spent. It can't get much worse than the Hemi. I'd like to take half the cost of a stock crate Hemi and sink it into a 360 based stroker. I'd run circles around the Hemi.

Having watched the Top Fuel cars over the weekend at Heartland Park, yes, the Hemi is the ultimate

I have raced a Pontiac,Chev,64 Ford A/S, a 64Thunder Bolt, a 67 Plymouth Hemi Ultra Stock, and The Sox&Martin 68 SS/A Hemi Cuda, and have to tell you the Hemi's were without a doubt the most pewerful and winningest of all the cars I had over the years.
Building now a nostalgia SS 68 521 cu. in 440, only because the engine was in the Dart when I purchased it, and just can't afford to put the HemiI would like to build in it..

Not really ever been a Hemi fan. Nor a big block fan for that matter. I've been more about power gained per dollar spent. It can't get much worse than the Hemi. I'd like to take half the cost of a stock crate Hemi and sink it into a 360 based stroker. I'd run circles around the Hemi.

Leadfoot,

You must be a 'joy' to have around at all those Mopar Super/Stock parties after the
Racing Events.

To be anti 426 Hemi is to be anti Mopar.
The 426 hemi is a race engine from the first lines put on the drawing board. Not a hopped up passenger car engine.
They have been singled out and outlawed or penalized by racing sanctions in order to have a level playing field for all contestants since their introduction.
Crate hemis that run on today's pump gas is not what they were all about or originally designed to do. I am not one to try and compare a detuned 426 to a stroked 360. Apples and oranges.
If it really is all about the HP gained to dollar spent for some there are plenty of engines in the gm camp that fill that much better than even a 360 Mopar.
I still think of the Hemi for what it was and not what rule makers or modern fuel or time has turned it into. There was a day if you weren't running a Hemi you weren't winning. From its
nascar beginnings, Salt flats, superstock, prostock, funnycar and topfuel the Chrysler Hemi was even banned from the Indy 500 going up against the offys. Ultimate covers it pretty accurate. They had winning races in mind from the start with this legendary engine.
Crawling around a show field with one not so much the same kind of ultimate but still very impressive. Rather hear them screaming myself.

Well, this is America. I don't have to like the Hemi. It's not that I dislike them, they're fine engines. I just have better things to do with my money. Like the Harley. All nice and well, I just feel it's best to get the same thing or better for half the price. Nonetheless, it's still impossible to dispute what I stated when I said, "I've been more about power gained per dollar spent. It can't get much worse than the Hemi."

To be anti 426 Hemi is to be anti Mopar.

I've never owned a Hemi. Over the course of my life I've owned well past 50 Mopars dating from the late 50s to 1997. To be honest I've only owned 2 non Mopars in almost 30 years - a Pontiac I flipped in under 10 days, and a Chevy I'm working on flipping now. both of which I stole and the cash goes right into my mopars. I've never daily driven anything but a Mopar. I started a Mopar car club in the 90s.
Meant with all due respect and with a smile - you can take this comment and shove it with a blown elephant right up your ***...lol.

Well, this is America. I don't have to like the Hemi. It's not that I dislike them, they're fine engines. I just have better things to do with my money. Like the Harley. All nice and well, I just feel it's best to get the same thing or better for half the price. Nonetheless, it's still impossible to dispute what I stated when I said, "I've been more about power gained per dollar spent. It can't get much worse than the Hemi."

Not liking a 'Hemi'.

What are you ...... 'a communist'.

Maybe I can dig up the build sheet. That single four barrel hemi pic I posted. $1200.00 for the build. Good for 20 years of abuse. Always had 4.56/4.11 gears out back. Always figured that to be good value for the money spent. And the trans behind that hemi, 65 tf ,Art Carr,rmvb, built about 1972. Still going strong.

-
Back