426 max wedge ?

-
Hey ph23vo how can you assume its a street wedge with out me posting the engine and head #s without me posting pics.. I'll post the pad info on Friday to make you a believer

pretty simply actually...you said you got it home and DECODED IT..if that were true you would have posted the info from your decode... [as proof] and as you know REAL MAXWEDGE blocks have many special and distinguishing features.. street wedges not so much.. good luck ..still a neat engine for a fair market price

Man, you all act like you ain't ever seen a Max Wedge Head or Intake before.... :crybaby:

No,,,,,.................that is not what I said at all. The OP is the one claiming to have a maxie. Why can't he just post a photo or tow. Geezus fawh hreeekin Karueuast if I scored one I'd sure as hell be showing it off................................

no,,,,,.................that is not what i said at all. The op is the one claiming to have a maxie. Why can't he just post a photo or tow. Geezus fawh hreeekin karueuast if i scored one i'd sure as hell be showing it off................................

exactly!

No,,,,,.................that is not what I said at all. The OP is the one claiming to have a maxie. Why can't he just post a photo or tow. Geezus fawh hreeekin Karueuast if I scored one I'd sure as hell be showing it off................................

It wasn't directed toward you. It was a sarcastic general statement. :banghead:

I posted the pictures so he could compare it to them, in case he has a standard 426 wedge instead of a Max. :eek:ops:

Like you said, If you had one you'd be showing it off. :glasses7:

And someone posted that unless you post pictures, it isn't true.... I speak the truth!

Should have know, LOL. First time I "came across" a pair of those heads was in '70 in San Diego. I didn't know what they were, then, thought they were truck heads 'er somethin. Just layin in the dirt in some low buck back yard of which I wanted to get the 'ell out. "the neighbors" you know. I had come to look at an engine, and did not like what I saw

I soon found out, as' a local friend: "The damn things didn't have any crossover passages"

AND YOU DIDN'T BUY EM??????

The 383 and 426 wedge both have 4.25" bore. Just different stroke 3.375" vs 3.75". Pistons can't be all that rare for that bore size.

I'm well aware of this; there are many engines that share a 4.25" bore...but, just because they share a bore diameter doesn't mean the pistons are similarly interchangeable...unless you would purposely install, for example, off the shelf 383 pistons .140"-.180"+ in the hole for a 426 build...if I were going to build a 426W, it damn sure wouldn't be an 7.5-8:1 engine with zero quench capability.

That's just it........."max" wedges are NOT that common. There's quite a few 426 lower performance engines, as they were used in trucks and motor homes, and industrial "stuff"

Oh, I knew the MW are rare, and that there were other versions of the 426W, but wasn't aware they were what most of us were refer to as "common"...I honestly thought they only existed for like 3-4 model years in limited apps before superseded by the Hemi and 440. More than anything, I don't think I would turn one down for $350 if it were in running condition with a standard bore.

EDIT: Of course, if I were to build an engine like that, I'd probably want custom pistons anyway....so bore diameter and compression height of available OTS pistons is irrelevant...

Are KrazyKuda's heads stage III heads ?

Yep. The 2406518 castings are for the 1964 Stage III maxie heads.

2402286 was the casting number for the 1962 Stage I and 2463209 for the 1963 Stage II maxie heads.

I once saw a guy at Mopar Nats many years ago in Indy (like 86). He had a Max Wedge (Stage II) intake with carbs and linkage for sale asking $1200. I asked him "What would you take for them?".

He replied, "Those are high performance parts, there's no dealing on high performance parts."

As I was leaving, I noticed in his flyer that he was looking for those same series heads that I have. So I wanted to "test" him, and took the flier and asked him what he'd give for a set of 518 heads. He played dumb and asked, "What are those?"

I replied, "The ones in the flier here that you are that you are looking for."

He said, "Oh, I'll give you $500 for them."

I laughed in his face while turning away and said, "Yeah, right...." :finga: :finga: :finga:

$1200 and "no dealing" on an intake, carb, and linkage setup, but my heads are only worth $500.... FLIPPER.... :finga: :finga: :finga:

"You want to suck my what????

Not subtle are we?! LOL!

Yep, everyone is a poker player when wheelin-and-dealin.

How did you come into your Maxie anyway? Piece by piece or did you score the whole thing (and engine stand) for a couple of hundred bones? Yeah I'm nosey, but out of curiousity as I love a good "find" or "acquisition" story. Just the fact that it is a Maxie means there is some kind of history there in all that steel.

So you have had that stash of Maxie parts since at least '86? That's like almost 30 years ago! Put that bad-mutha together and stuff it in something! That bad-boy was born to roar and run - not collect dust!

i was in the hunt for a big block a few years ago so i answered an add on craigslist and came across a late 1963 426 max wedge with the 6 bolt heads wasnt sure what i had actually purshased untill i got it home and decoded everything yuuup i scored big only paid $350 with the engine stand that it was on ...my plans are to install it into my 70 swinger with a sure grip mini tube and a four speed what do you guys thunk i need to do to the 426 to run mid / hi tens in the 1/4
Pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 381
i was in the hunt for a big block a few years ago so i answered an add on craigslist and came across a late 1963 426 max wedge with the 6 bolt heads wasnt sure what i had actually purshased untill i got it home and decoded everything yuuup i scored big only paid $350 with the engine stand that it was on ...my plans are to install it into my 70 swinger with a sure grip mini tube and a four speed what do you guys thunk i need to do to the 426 to run mid / hi tens in the 1/4

Here is the last one 3 of 3

Attachments

• image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 351
64.... 426 STREET WEDGE.. fair deal at 350.00... very common engine

518 heads would've been adj rockers I believe and max wedge...these appear to be reg 516 common heads for bblk engines...so it's not a max wedge engine...

Maltese cross indicates it had factory under size bearings somewhere.

518 heads would've been adj rockers I believe and max wedge...these appear to be reg 516 common heads for bblk engines...so it's not a max wedge engine...

You don't even have to look at the casting numbers. I believe those heads had short rocker stands (maybe not) but just look at the port size and LACK of a heat crossover.

No other cylinder heads had those big ports and no crossovers.

But see............we can't see those.

We see the castin number though and the hydraulic rockers. NOT Max Wedge stuff.

Maltese cross indicates it had factory under size bearings somewhere.

I don't know what suprises me more...........the fact that Ma actually did this, or that they actually TOLD us they did this

I've got a .030 340 block with the dreaded "diamond" (oversize lifter bore)

my factory 1967 dart, coronet, charger, service manual. shows the 383-440 engine. A Maltese cross on the I.D. pad means. U/S crank, M-2-3 ect indicating No. 2 & 3 main journal, and / or R-1-4 ect indicating No. 1 & 4 connecting rod journals. under by .001". with X means under .010". letter A = .020 O/S cly. a diamond = .008 OS tappets. sorry thats the only book i have close.

-
Back