426 Stroker info

-

Joseph24251_200

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
Has anyone done a 426 Stroker kit on a production 360 block yet. I just wanna know before i purchase the kit then find out i need a new racing block or something else crazy like that. Some one fill me in on a little info on the 426 pro's con's would u do it or not. If I build on i'll probably purchase the heads that i want now and purchase the rotating assembley and have the bottom end put together late this summer

Well, I don't have a lot of time to explain why, but I wouldn't do it. the cubes gained are negligible and the difference wouldn't be noticeable unless you had REALLY good heads as they would be the big bottleneck in flow (the key to power). the rotating mass and forces will increase A lot! limiting the rpm, even over a 4" stroker. I would just go with the 4" if you want a stroker. it is cheaper also.

Hope this helps...

Benjamin

Why not just buy the 408 stroker kit?It,s cheaper and easier install with minimal mods.I was gonna go 426 kit til I read about the mods to the block and also prices.Yikes!LOL

my buddy did it with a stock block. he had to sleeve all cylinders and bore 100 thousandths. but it screams. doesnt seem logical unless its a race motor (his is)

I wanted to use the Hughes 426 stroker kit...But at the time I didn't have all the funds to support that kind of build. (with the 426 cubic inch, it'd be logical to use the Indy head top end package, which is about $3500 plus porting). But I do dream of having one of those engines, and I think it would be fine and run great in a 360 block...And there is no more block machining for this kit than there is for a 408...

Mopardude,

Dont forget the aftermarket block with the extra head bolts......another 3k to the bill! I will be building one with the 360-1 Indy Heads probably this year. I will for sure be using the after market block or an R series. That combo will make close to 700hp with the right parts & Compression!

Mopardude,

Dont forget the aftermarket block with the extra head bolts......another 3k to the bill! I will be building one with the 360-1 Indy Heads probably this year. I will for sure be using the after market block or an R series. That combo will make close to 700hp with the right parts & Compression!

Yea, that will be awesome! You better post pictures! I've heard that on the R series blocks, you can't use a roller cam? They have like 50mm roller cam bearings or something like that?

Yea, that will be awesome! You better post pictures! I've heard that on the R series blocks, you can't use a roller cam? They have like 50mm roller cam bearings or something like that?

Hughes use to have an aftermarket block on their site for the small block that wasn't the R series, cant find it now?

-
Back