426 Stroker Six Pack vs 440 Six Pack

-

Hemispherical

Reaction score
I'm deciding to get an engine swap done on the small block in my Aussie A-body hardtop, and the following options present themselves:

1) Stockish 340 + Six Pack
2) Stroker 340 (say 426) + Six Pack
3) Stockish Big Block 440 + Six Pack

I know, it's an existential crisis. Obviously I like performance, but handling and ride and other factors are just as important as the car will essentially be a daily driver. Oh, and I love the idea of a new Six Pack sitting in the engine bay, so that part I'm settled on.

But what about performance/economy? Will the big block be only of marginal performance gain over the stroker, and will it suck a whole lot more gas? Your views welcome, to help me decide which way to go... I plan on a solid suspension&braking package, so extra weight should not in itself present a great problem.

Thanks in advance!

For a daily driver and a great fit and allot of power I am sure if it was mine I would go with the 340 six pack.
Does anyone here drive a stoked 340? I do not know how much gas and temp problems there could be.
Just my thout on this.
How much more cost is involved going with the 440.
Keep us updated on your choice. :scratch:

i'm gonna be gettin my 340 bored .40 over back soon...

I’m partial to small blocks myself…and stroker small blocks can EASILY make over 500 hp. Stroke it!

Use an 8 blade water pump, decent radiator, tti headers, and do a 416 stroker 340. It will run like an old 416 wedge in a small car, less weight, steer better ride better etc. But if you want max power going straight do the big block!

The guy I am buying my cuda from has another much nicer cuda than mine and he has a 340 with 3.58 stroke, it's the nicest formula s I have yet seen for the street, and it is very fast, and I mean VERY fast, we are sure it will run 10's. And it is a street car, like I said, it handles, and behaves, and doesn't overheat, and with the four speed it launches like it has afterburners, I am so impressed that I asked him how he did it... 360 crank turned down, indexed and micro-polished, less than $200.00 for the machine work. New pistons, factory rods. 372 cubic inches of furious small block!

Hemispherical said:
I'm deciding to get an engine swap done on the small block in my Aussie A-body hardtop, and the following options present themselves:

1) Stockish 340 + Six Pack
2) Stroker 340 (say 426) + Six Pack
3) Stockish Big Block 440 + Six Pack

I know, it's an existential crisis. Obviously I like performance, but handling and ride and other factors are just as important as the car will essentially be a daily driver. Oh, and I love the idea of a new Six Pack sitting in the engine bay, so that part I'm settled on.

But what about performance/economy? Will the big block be only of marginal performance gain over the stroker, and will it suck a whole lot more gas? Your views welcome, to help me decide which way to go... I plan on a solid suspension&braking package, so extra weight should not in itself present a great problem.

Thanks in advance!
The stroker is the best compromise between them.

I agree with above. Option 2, built mild, is the best all around.

-
Back