426 wedge build ideas?

-

1970BBDart

Reaction score
I have a buddy who has a belvedere w/a 426 wedge. He wants to build to around 500 hp w/10.5:1 comp. The only thing we are keeping is the crank. Lets have some good ideas for 500 hp for the street! Its gonna be a four speed car also. Aluminum heads are in the recipe as well.

my uncle has his 440 65 belvedere 1 with 72 CC combustion chambers aluminum heads, pistons w/ valve reliefs at 0 deck, M1 intake with holley street avenger, auto 727, 3.91 8 3/4, carb spacer, bored .030 over and a 413 max wedge crank with a 500 lift cam. Its sbout 10.75 to 1 when it comes to compression, but its probably a little short of 500HP:happy8:

Somebody out there has got to have a good recipe. C'mon guys, let's see what the imagination can cook up!

Back in the '70's I had a 426 wedge, bored it .070 and fit it with std sized 440 HP TRW pistons, ran the std 440 HP cam grind, also from TRW. Stuffed it into a '67 Barracuda just when Direct Connection came out with a big block K-member. It ran Hooker fenderwell headers, 4-speed. I only kept it for two years. Man, what a monster that was.
People warned me that boring it that far over would cause it to overheat, but I figured what the hell, I worked in a machine shop and I'll just do it again if that happens. But I never had temperature problems, just kept breaking u-joints...LOL!

A 426W is just a small bore 440 so you use the same build process. You'll need custom forged pistons to get the compression right. Your best bet is probably a set of Edelbrock RPM heads or else the aluminum 452 heads from Mopar Performance. For the street use a Performer RPM dual plane intake. The Mopar .528 solid lifter camshaft is a good one to use on the street but there are tons of cams to choose.

-
Back