42rh

-

aaadave

Reaction score
i have a 42rh from a 92 dakota that's not the original trans. they say the middle numbers of the pan rail no. is the build date. mine is 1206. does anyone know what date this relates to? thanks, dave.

The PK number will tell you what you need to know. I will bet it is a 904/with the overdrive unit on the back of it. Was the truck a V6 ? Not sure what you really need to know. Most rebuild kits cover multiple years.

The PK number will tell you what you need to know. I will bet it is a 904/with the overdrive unit on the back of it. Was the truck a V6 ? Not sure what you really need to know. Most rebuild kits cover multiple years.
the deal is that dodge supposedly replaced the trans. in 1995 under warranty. there's no doubt it's a 42rh, just wondering if it's a later build, as iv'e heard there are better internals in the later builds. the pk number comes in three groups, with the middle group being 1206. was told that's what determined the year. and yes, it's from a v6. it's just something i wondered about.

Well I can tell you that I have replaced many of the them with remanufactured units over the years working at the dealership. With that I can tell you that some where better than other's. But the only thing that ever killed that transmission was the check valve in the cooler line that would stick shut. Some did come with the larger overdrive unit that just have more clutches than others but they were all great units. If it's a replacement transmission the only way to tell what is in it would be to disassemble it and see.

that is what a 42RH is...........

If it's a Chrysler reman all bets are off. We know it's a 42 but you don't know what's inside. You would have to take it apart to see what was upgraded

-
Back