440/520 Stroker with max wedge exhaust manifolds question

-
I'm sure the next 400 I find will be a forged crank & I'll lol
I didn't believe it myself until I got one in trade. It had the maltese cross indicating undersize crank, which it had. .001" under size rod and mains and they all had 77 date codes and Chrysler logos on them. The rods were marked with playing card symbols, which I've seen elsewhere. There's info where other people have found the same thing in other forums on the net. Ramcharger Central is one. While it may be true that the cars phased them out early on, the evidence points to manual transmission trucks keeping the forged cranks right up to 1978. Mine was a 77 model.

I didn't believe it myself until I got one in trade. It had the maltese cross indicating undersize crank, which it had. .001" under size rod and mains and they all had 77 date codes and Chrysler logos on them. The rods were marked with playing card symbols, which I've seen elsewhere. There's info where other people have found the same thing in other forums on the net. Ramcharger Central is one. While it may be true that the cars phased them out early on, the evidence points to manual transmission trucks keeping the forged cranks right up to 1978. Mine was a 77 model.
I've actually seen those rods, we have some in huge storage room. ****, I have 2 spare 400 blocks, one here and 1 at work. I gotta go look.
Nope, it has the E on the number pad

Last edited:
I've actually seen those rods, we have some in huge storage room. ****, I have 2 spare 400 blocks, one here and 1 at work. I gotta go look.
Nope, it has the E on the number pad
I would physically LOOK at the crank, just to verify. All you need to see is if the back is drilled for a manual transmission and look at the outer edge of the flange for the wide (about 1/2") parting line.

Agree , I read that not only are you losing the nitrided finish on the crank you are also reducing the overall strength of the crank.
A friend of mine in Ozark, AL, has done my machine work on the motors.
His take was cutting the crank down and buying aftermarket caps was not a good idea. He has built many class racers motors, all Mopar
The other option was to machine the crank bores to accept a std 440 crank.
Was told thereis too much meat to take reducing block strength considerably. I'm talking about 600+ hp motors, which will probably need block fill if they're more than 30 over
Get a new builder. He to old school. His thinking is light years behind the times. Kim

Just for the guys that think Forged cranks don't come in 400's or stuff after 72'.
100_2171.JPG

100_2167.JPG

100_2170.JPG

100_2169.JPG

Last edited:
Well, as I said in my post "I never seen one"
As a matter of fact I've seen E noted on the number pad of a 73 satellite Sebring plus 400 magnum 4 speed ( numbers matching) People on moparts say all 400 4 speeds had a forged crank. E is the code for cast crank.
Ok, my block has a "T" code, does that indicate forged crank ?

-
Back