440 A body

-

696pack

Reaction score
I have been a registered member here for sometime but don't posted much.

I have a 523 stroker (440) that I am considering the idea of putting in a Demon/Dart Sport. So I have many questions about this and these cars in general.

1. where is the fit problem with a 440 and the HP B body manifolds in an A body? Is it the unibody? Can it be notched and boxed in this problem area? I am not going to spend the money for the A body manifold and really don’t want to use headers unless absolutely necessary.

2. I would like to have power steering, A/C and power brakes with the 440 are there any problems with this? I already have an aftermarket under altenator compressor bracket.

3. Did the 318-up engines all have the 8 3/4” rear?

4. I have 15” X 8” rear wheels and 15” X 7” front wheels with 4.5” back spacing, any problems with these wheels fitting? If not what is the largest tire I can fit front and rear?

5. What year did the fold down seat and trunk panel option begin and was it available on all of the Demons, Dart Sports and Dusters?

6. What is the length dimension from behind the front seats to the rear of the trunk with the fold down seat and trunk panel option?

7. Which of the above cars came with the higher mph speedo? Is the wiring harness the same for standard speedo/gauge package?

8. What are reasonable options for handling? I know that big block A bodies are considered by most be be a straight line car. Are the 318/360 T-bars suffecient for the 440 or do I have to go with something aftermarket? Sway bars
front-rear?

9. Cooling system? What was available from the factory?

I am sure I will have more questions if this is an option I want to persue.

Thanks in advance for anyone that helps.

Try bigblockdart.com, they got all your answers there...or repost in a different section instead of the General one..

I have been a registered member here for sometime but don't posted much.

I have a 523 stroker (440) that I am considering the idea of putting in a Demon/Dart Sport. So I have many questions about this and these cars in general.

1. where is the fit problem with a 440 and the HP B body manifolds in an A body? Is it the unibody? Can it be notched and boxed in this problem area? I am not going to spend the money for the A body manifold and really don’t want to use headers unless absolutely necessary.

Steering column and power steering.

2. I would like to have power steering, A/C and power brakes with the 440 are there any problems with this? I already have an aftermarket under altenator compressor bracket.

Brake booster needs to be the smallest canister, Brake lines on the fender side.

3. Did the 318-up engines all have the 8 3/4” rear?

No.

4. I have 15” X 8” rear wheels and 15” X 7” front wheels with 4.5” back spacing, any problems with these wheels fitting? If not what is the largest tire I can fit front and rear?

Wheels will be fine. Lots of threads her on tire sizes and opening up the rear wheel well.

5. What year did the fold down seat and trunk panel option begin and was it available on all of the Demons, Dart Sports and Dusters?

Not sure.

6. What is the length dimension from behind the front seats to the rear of the trunk with the fold down seat and trunk panel option?

short surfboard.

7. Which of the above cars came with the higher mph speedo? Is the wiring harness the same for standard speedo/gauge package?

Most likely the cars with Performance engines and packages. Modification of the standard harness can be done to make the rally dash work. info is on the net.

8. What are reasonable options for handling? I know that big block A bodies are considered by most be be a straight line car. Are the 318/360 T-bars suffecient for the 440 or do I have to go with something aftermarket? Sway bars
front-rear?

definitely upgrading to 340/360 bars would be better, with good shocks and sway bars. depends on your direction of the build

9. Cooling system? What was available from the factory?

Go Aftermarket. Factory had 3 core at the most

I am sure I will have more questions if this is an option I want to persue.

Thanks in advance for anyone that helps.

Read and google
FABO
BBDodge
lots of good info out there.

-
Back