440 Big Block in my 1970 Dart

-

marianamaya

Reaction score
Thinking about replacing my /6 with a V8 and I figured, what the heck, might as well go with a 440.

I know many of you have experience here so I figured I would get your thoughts on what to look out for before I get going.

I am thinking about keeping it more stock probably with a 727 trans, unless one of you can recommend some ideas for an overdrive trans.

Here are my first questions:

1. Will and 8.75" axle be ok?

2. If I am looking for a stock or almost stock set up, are there model years that I want to stay away from, or can any 440 be set up to what I need? There seems to be a lot of motor home engines out there.

3. How does a 440 fit in the 70 dart? Motor mounts, radiator, exhaust, etc. what will I have to modify?

4. What size propshaft ujoints will I need?

What else am I missing?

Thanks guys, this should be fun!

Pete

1. Yes
2. Not necessarily although the earlier stuff is generally preferred for performance/durability.
3. Lots to change.You'll want to consider brake and suspension upgrades too. (see below)
4. Depends

Schumacher will have what you need to do the swap and a lot of your questions can be answered at their site: www.engine-swaps.com

bigblockdart.com is dedicated to BB a-bodies.

Ijust put a Big Block in a '67 Dart using Schumaker Motor Mounts, Torque Strap, Mini Starter, and Headers. Modified a '73 A Body K Frame to Schumaker Specifications. I installed my engine and trans all assembled from the bottom. Everything went well, no real surprises.

Ijust put a Big Block in a '67 Dart using Schumaker Motor Mounts, Torque Strap, Mini Starter, and Headers. Modified a '73 A Body K Frame to Schumaker Specifications. I installed my engine and trans all assembled from the bottom. Everything went well, no real surprises.

did you beef up the front suspension?

Yes Sir, 383 factory spec. torsion bars. and KH Manual Disc's. Also added US Car Tool Frame Connectors. Giving some thought to installing they're Torque Boxes. I'm running peewee 235's on the rear(3.55:1SG) Not going Drag Racing, just want to make some noise and shred the grippers.
Thanks

Do the swap, nothing lkike a bigblock in an A-Body

Attachments

• IMG_6373.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 1,620
it's a lot of money to do it "perfectly"

tubular front end kit with coil overs (delete torsion bars) $3000 or maybe $3500

Keisler kit for 5 speed 700ft pound rated o.d. manual trans (comes with everything including pedals, hydraulic clutch, flywheel, trans, tunnel mod sheet metal, shifter, etc.) probably $5k i'm not sure. automatics are terrible for gas mileage

dana 60 rear axle that can handle big power, $2k + custom drive shaft $700 + 1350 ujoints + yoke etc another few hundred $$$

engine build with lighter components (aluminum heads/ intake) gives you smallblock weight up front = probably $4k or so

for your fuel system you will want to replace the small gas lines and possibly your tank, retrofitting a better fuel pump

--------------
alternatives to save money...

on the low range you can just mod the k frame use a stock heavy 440 get v8 torsion bars and get a 8 3/4 rear a little cheaper. some of the stuff above will still need to be addressed somehow.

so there are tons of options you need to consider, it's a big project. i wouldn't do any of it until you have everything gathered and ready, so you can still enjoy your car until you are ready for the upgrade

it's a lot of money to do it "perfectly"

tubular front end kit with coil overs (delete torsion bars) $3000 or maybe $3500

Keisler kit for 5 speed 700ft pound rated o.d. manual trans (comes with everything including pedals, hydraulic clutch, flywheel, trans, tunnel mod sheet metal, shifter, etc.) probably $5k i'm not sure. automatics are terrible for gas mileage

dana 60 rear axle that can handle big power, $2k + custom drive shaft $700 + 1350 ujoints + yoke etc another few hundred $$$

engine build with lighter components (aluminum heads/ intake) gives you smallblock weight up front = probably $4k or so

for your fuel system you will want to replace the small gas lines and possibly your tank, retrofitting a better fuel pump

--------------
alternatives to save money...

on the low range you can just mod the k frame use a stock heavy 440 get v8 torsion bars and get a 8 3/4 rear a little cheaper. some of the stuff above will still need to be addressed somehow.

so there are tons of options you need to consider, it's a big project. i wouldn't do any of it until you have everything gathered and ready, so you can still enjoy your car until you are ready for the upgrade

got a d60 (200 from a junkyard). had it built to 35 spline, track lock, 4.11s, chop, and a few misc things. came out around 2.7k with taxes and misc things (lunch, gas, tools)

My kinda guy.... Chassis,suspension ,first. I would look for something,0 decked,steel crank.Forged pistons,a major plus.Assuming a budget.

-
Back