440 block value?

-

MoparMcK

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, so figured this was a good area. I have a 440 block, think it is from 78. standard bore. Pulled it out of my 76 Powerwagon a few years ago. Has bad cam bearings but obviously needs a full machine job. What would the value be of just the block? I do have the crank that was in it to. That have any worth? Thanks

Not alot. Remember, Chrysler made millions of them from 67 to the late 70,s. I just bought a bare stock bore 440 from 73 for $75. Now a 1958 350...

I just sold a 71 short block(rusty cylinders/stuck pistons, but steal crank) and a disassembled 73(cast crank), both standard bore, with 906 heads from the 71 and 213 heads from the 73 for $400.

Not alot. Remember, Chrysler made millions of them from 67 to the late 70,s. I just bought a bare stock bore 440 from 73 for $75. Now a 1958 350...

Millions??? Chrysler never made millions of anything back then. A huge productions run was almost limited production compared to GM or Ford. Now a small block Chevy sure they made that many back then.

Between automotive, truck, industrial and marine you think they made 999,999 or less 440's? Either way, you get my point, They dont command much.

I stand corrected. My apologies charger 426. 750,000

Over 750,000 440 engines have been produced, so parts tend to be available. The RB engine size was stamped on a pad at the left front of the engine adjacent to the front tappet rail. Distributors are at the right front of the engine. Parts replacement information (such as undersize crankshaft) is next to the engine size. Allpar.

I have sold them for $500. as long as I
can remember in this area up until a few years ago.
I stopped selling them when finding them easily seemed
to dry up. It would take more than 500. to get one from me
these days.

Thanks guys. Just getting a rough idea. May need to do some trading for some work on my Demon. Around here they are but are not common. If that makes sense. I was a told a standard bore block is worth more than one that has been bored already. Which does make sense to some degree.

Whatever someone will pay. I generally like to keep it under $200 for a bare one with history. Less for an unknown because it's going to cost me to get it checked out.

-
Back