440 build advice

-

wazoo64

Reaction score
I've got a 440 that I picked up with fresh build but want to get more out of it with upgrading to aluminum heads, intake, cam and carb upgrade. Biggest question is heads and which intake to go with. I would prefer to get heads ready to go so who ports the best? This is a street car and I want to light em up and will get what ever convertor specs needed to handle the best cam. Here is what I've got in it.

10:5 to 1 compression
Purple shaft Hemi street cam
Mild port 906 heads
M1 intake

Need more info such as; what car[body style,year]...is it bored and if so what type of piston[dome/flattop/dish etc.]...lots of different 'hemi' cams so what profile as in lift/duration/brand....stock stroke crank or other...what covertor/gears..whats actually been done to the heads as in valve size,milling,porting[whats cc's]..carb,distributor and what do you expect out of it..what gears/rearend...etc...the more we know the more we can give

Engine: 1964 440 cu.in (.30 over)

*balanced and blueprinted

*906 heads w/stainless valves, double springs and new guides/seals

*double roller timing chain

*10.9-1 KB pistons

*steel crankshaft

*HP windage tray and HP hi-performance oil pump

*street hemi (purple shaft) cam (284 degree duration)

*mopar high performance medium rise, dual plane intake manifold (M-1)

*edelbrock 750 CFM carburetor (Carter AFB)

1969 727 (recently built) with 2200 rpm Stall Torque Converter

8 ¾ 3:55

What you have now looks awful stout for a "A" body as is. Not sure where your final compression ratio will be as far as pump gas? But keep in mind, 400/425 hp in a "A" body is as much or more then is needed for a crazy fast street car.

I would think as is would be a pretty good runner,440 likes more carb,maybe a tad bigger vert..do you know how far down in the hole your pistons are[above or below deck]and the cc's of the heads? this will give you the actual compression...do you plan on running pump gas or other for the street? Looks like a good street set-up like it is...I would run it as is and improve upon it as you go,as it stands you may not need the aluminum heads unless your compression is actually 10-9-1 then they would be an advantage then,with that cam combo the 906's would be sufficient as far as flow...

Sorry forgot mention this is a 67 coronet. It runs strong but I have a 64 valiant with 408 ported eddy and Muthr thumper can and it pulls much better.

What you have now looks awful stout for a "A" body as is. Not sure where your final compression ratio will be as far as pump gas? But keep in mind, 400/425 hp in a "A" body is as much or more then is needed for a crazy fast street car.

My 64 valiant with 408 has a 580 HP so I'm spoiled. Just put the alterkation and street Linx on this coronet and it needs 600HP. What a great suspension upgrade.

Congrats on some nice rides, sounds very sweet!

I'll think about the 440, and if I can add anything worthwhile, I will. :thumbrig:

I've got a 440 that I picked up with fresh build but want to get more out of it with upgrading to aluminum heads, intake, cam and carb upgrade. Biggest question is heads and which intake to go with. I would prefer to get heads ready to go so who ports the best?

Mild port 906 heads
M1 intake

talk to jim laroy AKA: IQ52 about a set of ported performer RPM heads. 345cfm. Have him recomend a cam to work with those heads.

Is your intake a square bore or speadbore?

I'd personally start with the Indy EZ heads. A little more room to grow & pretty decent flow once cleaned up.

I've got a 440 that I picked up with fresh build but want to get more out of it with upgrading to aluminum heads, intake, cam and carb upgrade. Biggest question is heads and which intake to go with. I would prefer to get heads ready to go so who ports the best? This is a street car and I want to light em up and will get what ever convertor specs needed to handle the best cam. Here is what I've got in it.

Mild port 906 heads
M1 intake

A lot of people do some pretty good porting. For a street 440 the dual plane intake you have is pretty good. If it is already at 10.5:1 with 906 heads, the next head choice must be made very carefully unless you intend to run a very large cam.

Engine: 1964 440 cu.in (.30 over)

*balanced and blueprinted

*906 heads w/stainless valves, double springs and new guides/seals

*double roller timing chain

*10.9-1 KB pistons

*steel crankshaft

*HP windage tray and HP hi-performance oil pump

*street hemi (purple shaft) cam (284 degree duration)

*mopar high performance medium rise, dual plane intake manifold (M-1)

*edelbrock 750 CFM carburetor (Carter AFB)

1969 727 (recently built) with 2200 rpm Stall Torque Converter

8 ¾ 3:55

Decent basics. The piston design and deck height (potential compression ratio) and fuel type must be determined before the head and cam choice. Caution here, there were no 440's built in 1964. Is this a 413/426? Have you checked the casting date on the side of the block? Are there any numbers stamped on the flat pad next to the distributor?

My 64 valiant with 408 has a 580 HP so I'm spoiled. Just put the alterkation and street Linx on this coronet and it needs 600HP. What a great suspension upgrade.

600 HP from a 440 is a serious effort. Pop told me before he died the three secrets to making horsepower. I say this all the time. The first two are cylinder heads and third and most important is cylinder heads. We are about ready to dyno test Pop's 440 with our ported EZ heads and a XE285HL flat tappet camshaft as soon as we can find the time to get the 440 back on the dyno. Pop's 440 was making 540 HP with ported factory iron heads, the flat tappet cam and less than 9:1 compression.

Are the Indy heads ready to go out of the box?

No, I find I must do the valve seats and check/hone the guides at the very minimum. The Edelbrock RPM cylinder heads will out perform the Indy EZ heads out of the box to right at .500" lift. Ported, the EZ's would be the clear winner. I would not use the EZ heads without taking them out to Max Wedge size and that would then require using a different intake other than the one you already have. You can keep the port openings smaller than Max Wedge and run a smaller manifold but why do that with the EZ head that's designed to go Max Wedge? If you already own RPM heads or any other aluminum head they can be made capable of as much as 750 HP without the expense of buying new heads and having them ported.

I'm just wanting to hop up the top end for an easy HP bump. So it sounds like eddy heads and performer intake with a 800 quick fuel. Now I just need to pick a cam and torque convertor. I'm assuming there are much better grinds than the Hemi street purple shaft.

I'm just wanting to hop up the top end for an easy HP bump. So it sounds like eddy heads and performer intake with a 800 quick fuel. Now I just need to pick a cam and torque convertor. I'm assuming there are much better grinds than the Hemi street purple shaft.

I hope you mean performer RPM intake.

My last car had a 3900/4000 stall from dynamic and my current car has an Art Carr 3500 convertor. Something in that range should work very well for you and is very street friendly. Just make sure you buy a high quality/high efficiency convertor.

What are you looking to do with the cam? Hyd? Hyd Roller? Solid? Solid Roller? Don;t be afraid to run a solid cam. With a good set of rocker arms you'll be adjusting or checking the lash about once per year.

If you want a cheap cam that will do the job the MPP 242/528/112 cam is once of my favs.

If your intake manifold is the P5153525 M1, then you already have an Edelbrock Performer RPM dual plane manifold. I think that is the only dual plane, single 4bbl intake for the 440 that Chrysler sells.

Let me get a part number on the manifold. I didn't realize M1 was same as performer intake. I have a full roller in my 408 and love the sound of that sewing machine but probably just going with Hyd flat tappet on this 440. I don't want to adjust the lash once a year.

Can you tell which intake I have from this photo? Also how much horse power gain will I be looking at with heads, cam and carb upgrade.

Attachments

• image-1497416226.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 404
  • image-3880072021.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 382
-
Back