440 build question

-

70dusta

Reaction score
I was just wondering if any one knew a price range to rebuild a 440. I dont want nething rediculously pwerful pretty mild around 400 horse. I would probaly start with a complete 440 from a yard or something. ive never had n engine built so i have no idea on the prices yet
thanks

i`m in the process and waitin any day now for my 440 build to get back home.i don`t know prices on a mild build because i pretty much went all out.just a guess somewhere between 3000 and 4000 for new heads or porting,cam,lifters,intake mani.750 0r 850 carb.this price should include labor.
DAVE

i just built one here in texas, i've 6500 in my engine and tranny....but the only usabl parts left on mine was the block and the rods...lol damm the luck.

You only want 400HP? Just find a 440 that needs rebuild. Still running and no knocking or damage.Tear it completly down and take everything to a good automotive mach shop.If cyl walls ck out good and still within spec you can get away with just having them honed.That way you can re use your pistons.Have the mach shop ck out and recondition block,rods,pistons crank,heads etc.Have them install bushings in the rods for floating wrist pins.Have them deck the block about .035 to raise compression (free horsepower) Then re-assemble with a mild hyd performance cam, good intake,650 or 750 holley carb,headers,and good ignition.That should get your 400HP.

For 400 hp, I would just do a solid performance style rebuild, and put an up to date cam in it. Dont need porting, excessive milling..just plain old good machining and good parts. It will leave you with lots of room to grow too. Around me, that's a $3500 build minus ignition, carb, and intake.

-
Back