440 build

-

Rumblin_440

Reaction score
Ok I recently pulled a 440 out of a 76 champion motorhome and I'm planning on putting it in my power wagon. I want to do a few small things while its on engine stand and I was hoping you guys would enjoy sharing some of your knowledge. I'm wanting to do cam and lifters, a set of headers, and considering intake. Not sure on any brands just yet. I'm looking for low end torque and a little rumble. Truck is a 78 3/4 ton all time 4 wheel drive.

Ok I recently pulled a 440 out of a 76 champion motorhome and I'm planning on putting it in my power wagon. I want to do a few small things while its on engine stand and I was hoping you guys would enjoy sharing some of your knowledge. I'm wanting to do cam and lifters, a set of headers, and considering intake. Not sure on any brands just yet. I'm looking for low end torque and a little rumble. Truck is a 78 3/4 ton all time 4 wheel drive.
some of the motorhomes came with a funky crank flange so you may wanna check that out. what heads are on it? and buy you a set of Hooker headers, you will probably be happy with them

What gears,tire diameter? Headers,YES! Good cam choice ,low buck: Jegs 555-200165. Essentially,punps up the powerband,while remaining streetable. A couple steps above ,what you have. If you have a Thermoquad,send a PM to RustyRatRod. Should make more torque,and M.P.G... My thoughts....

What gears,tire diameter? Headers,YES! Good cam choice ,low buck: Jegs 555-200165. Essentially,punps up the powerband,while remaining streetable. A couple steps above ,what you have. If you have a Thermoquad,send a PM to RustyRatRod. Should make more torque,and M.P.G... My thoughts....
Heck, if you have any kinda carb, just pack it up and send the whole thing to him. He knows how to build 'em and he can make a Thermoquad go, that's for sure.

I'll try and get him to chime in on this thread whenever he gets around to it.

Thanks for the kind words yall. IMO, you should let the exhaust do the rumble, however Howards makes some interesting grinds that IMO can both rumble and have low end grunt well. Look at this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-721941-12/overview/make/dodge

Yeah, it has some lift. Lift = HP. Look how mild the duration is and the fact it is on a 112 LSA. Look at the RPM range. Comes in at 1800......RIGHT when a stock converter has locked up.....BAM git you sum. I am sure I will get trounced on for that selection, but I think with headers and say the Eddy Performer intake and a good tuned Thermoquad, it will be a low end torque monster from hell and sound good doin it.

Absolutely HORRIBLE cam choice...

Just kidding.

Either one of those would probably do pretty well. I'm going to guess, though, the Howards cam may need some better springs, and cut down the guides, right? Or is that a small block only issue with lifts over .480-.500"?

Not sure......but if yer gonna do it, DO IT. lol

and ANY cam choice should get new sprAngs, IMO.

Pangasket I'm not sure what you mean about the crank flange or how that will effect my build please elaborate. As for the heads I think I'm reading 452 does that sound right.

Abodybomber the tires will be 33s and as for the gears its low I would say 410s. I will look into cam and I have a holley I'm pretty sure its a 4180 i think 600 cfm single pumper.

Rustyratrod I will check out howards and start look for intake.

Just wanna throw out more info the motor only has 39000 miles everything inside (with oil pan and valve covers off) looks spotless and what kinda plugs should I go with anything different then stock?

Pangasket I'm not sure what you mean about the crank flange or how that will effect my build please elaborate. As for the heads I think I'm reading 452 does that sound right.

Abodybomber the tires will be 33s and as for the gears its low I would say 410s. I will look into cam and I have a holley I'm pretty sure its a 4180 i think 600 cfm single pumper.

Rustyratrod I will check out howards and start look for intake.

Just wanna throw out more info the motor only has 39000 miles everything inside (with oil pan and valve covers off) looks spotless and what kinda plugs should I go with anything different then stock?

The crank flange is where your flexplate/flywheel will mount to. If its a funky pattern, you will have a hard time findind a flexplate/flywheel for a nonmotorhome transmission.

A 600 Holley is small for a 440. You should look into something different. I would be happy to fix you up a nice thermoquad. They do require some learning to tune but they are great carburetors.

A 600 Holley is small for a 440. You should look into something different. I would be happy to fix you up a nice thermoquad. They do require some learning to tune but they are great carburetors.
I agree with that,cant beat a TQ when tuned..superior perf and decent mpg's..are a little tricky to learn but worth the end result..have a 360 ramchgr had a TQ that needed a kit so I put on a new 600 edelbrock and ran ok but the perf wasnt as good and the mpg's went from 16-17 down to 10-11,so guess what got fixed....

Just for some info - my mutt W250 has a 360, all stock HD727, 4.10s, and 31s. If I don't hold it in gear it's next to impossible to get it to rev over 4200. I run the XE262, 318 Performer intake, Edelbrock750, and cheapie headers on it. My impression is you will need idle to about 3500 with those 33s unles you like doing 75+ on the highway or competitive mud/pulling with it.

-
Back