440 cid small block crate motor

-

dgc333

Reaction score
Anyone get Hot Rod (the one with the Cuda on the cover)? The latest issue has an article on a 440 cid (actually 439) small block crate motor that is now being offered by Mopar Perfromance. Siamese bore 4 bolt block with aluminum heads.

Supposed to be 525 HP and run on pump gas.

Yeah, I do get Hot Chev... I mean Hot Rod mag. Cool article about the big small block. Wonder what it will wind up costing.

Its going to be over priced Im sure. The 380hp 360 magnums are now around $5000. Im sure they will want around $7500 for the 440 and 550hp isnt much for such a big cube small block.

I would say it is a custom block so more likely 8K +++ but if the block is avail bare :)

AdamR said:
Its going to be over priced Im sure. The 380hp 360 magnums are now around $5000. Im sure they will want around $7500 for the 440 and 550hp isnt much for such a big cube small block.

The 360/390 HP (no more 380) is $4400 from Mancini and there are places that are cheaper. You are right about the 440 being big bucks but then again all the big inch small blocks are serious cash.

I didnt read the article, but I'd bet they are close to $9K for one. Hopefully they actually have a performance shop build them, so they dont have the problems the Hemis and others have had.

moper said:
I didnt read the article, but I'd bet they are close to $9K for one. Hopefully they actually have a performance shop build them, so they dont have the problems the Hemis and others have had.

I sepnt 1/2 and hour on the phone with Summit,
Mopar has changed the engine part number already.

This setup is still PRE-production,
I was told to expect $9,000. to $10,000. price.

Lee/caveman

ugh out of my price range, the heads sound like not cheap, LOL.

Aluminum
> large port Commando heads use W2 style shaft
> Rockers.

also the cam is really small in the mid .400's or so.

The large port commandos are great heads, with alittle port work and a bigger cam, over 700hp is easily attainiable.

Steve

cavemanmoron said:
I sepnt 1/2 and hour on the phone with Summit,
Mopar has changed the engine part number already.

This setup is still PRE-production,
I was told to expect $9,000. to $10,000. price.

Lee/caveman

ugh out of my price range, the heads sound like not cheap, LOL.

Aluminum
> large port Commando heads use W2 style shaft
> Rockers.

WOW, thats wayyy outta my league. Be nice if they solda short block...

Id rather take their basic engine build plan and have another shop do the work. Get the bare block bore it out so you have 426 + cubes, get a real nice port and polish job on those commando heads. Get better quality rods, maybe a shorter duration higher lift cam for better streetablity and lowend and go from there. I would expect to get 450 to the wheels with a build like that on pump gas.

-
Back