440 cooling

-

Twister440

Reaction score
I have a 71 duster with a 440 in it. the engine is .60 over and has a decent comp cam. im having trouble keeping it under 200 degrees even going down the road. it has 1 electric fan, tranny cooler in front and 3 core radiator with flex fan on engine and 170 thermostat. any ideas what I could do.

.....................put a 195* in it.....if it doesn't have a small 1/8 hole in it drill 1 in it....flex fans r mostly junk......kim...............

(1) Put a shroud on radiator.

(2) Ditch the flex fan and get the proper clutch fan.

(3) Flush the cooling system, make sure you have proper mix.

I have been through this, 440 .060 over big roller 11to1 compression tried the brass 3 row, no good. Tried aluminum 1" tube 2 row with electric fan, no go. Went to a 2 row 1 1/4" tube aluminum two electric fans with shroud total CFM 4600 with duel fan control, moved the trans cooler under the fender it has its own fan and thermostat. It will now maintain 180* idling with the second fan cycling on and off. Haven't driven it yet but am sure it will be fine running down the road, oh I also added a front air dam.

it keeps going past 200. right now im getting a 4 core copper radiator made and I will have 2 electric fans and a shroud

-
Back