440 Dakota

-

abdywgn

dismantler
Reaction score
Anybody have or doing one of these? Have a Dakota that just won't leave the driveway; found a B-body 8-3/4 and 440/727 combo for a good price. So,like I don't have enough projects (let alone getting any done), I thought this would be a good combo to add to the mix. Engine mounting would be elephant ears, trans crossmember tubular. Headers would be a big question: 1-3/4" 4 tube or a tri-y design? Would an A-body set of fenderwell headers fit? How about oil pan?
Regular rear sump truck or otherwise? If you've done this and have pictures to share, please do so! Thanks! Bob

Wish I could help ya with pictures. At the 2003 Mopar Nats, a guy showed up with a 97 or older Dakota Club Cab dripping in Sublime with a 440 6 Pack -5 speed pistol grip and Air Grabber hood.
It looked FACTORY it was so nice,right down to the emissions stickers.

I guy near me built these 2

Picture 1080.jpg

Picture 1077.jpg

Picture 1079.jpg

I have a 318 shortbox dakota , bought it NEW ... in 95.... MINT , NO RUST anywhere ... 90000 miles today ...
Fast little truck even with 318

One of those would look great twoing my car!

DSC01006.jpg

Thanks for the pics and links! Gonna try to find that guys truck pictured on the engine mount site, check out thier site for additional info. Not planning anything as nice as those 2 though. Something to run around in, pick-up groceries and stuff of the sort.

I built a Pro Street '87 Dakota short box back in '89. I don't know if I was the first to do this but it was sure a popular ride when we went to car shows or cruise nights.

It had a semi mild 440/ 727/ 2X4 tunnel ram/ 2 stage nitrous kit (lots of chrome and polished aluminum)

A narrowed 8 3/4 rear- 323 sure grip/ ladder bars/coil overs.

The front suspension was a Just Suspension set up - 2 " drop spindles - short coils, and a stock rack and pinion.

Inside the p/u box was all polished aluminum/ 16 gal. fuel cell /relocated battery(in polished aluminum box)

The 2"X4" back half, oil pan, headers, and engine / trans mounts were all hand fabbed by myself. Routing the headers was a major pain but doable.

I tucked a set of round Flowmasters behind the sills due to clearance issues.

The interior was basically stock bench with a roll bar, tach & guages, and a B&M Quarter Stick.

I painted it "Extreme Red" base clear whichwas later used on the first Vipers produced, now called Viper Red. I know I was the first to use the Viper Red colour because it was just formulated about a week before I painted the truck.

It was used primarily for show. We did manage to win a lot of trophies with the little truck and it was a blast to drive. For long distance shows I towed it with a matching colour GMC dually and matching colour open trailer.

My wife got two major speeding tickets with. I sold it in '97 or '98 to help fund a SS/BA project.

A few years after I finished the little truck Mopar Pewrformance came out with an off-the-shelf conversion kit to add a Hemi or 440 in the Dakota.

Unfortunately I only have hard copy pictures of the little beast.

What do you need to know? Shoot me an email and I'll answer your questions.

sscuda

-
Back