440 duster swap

-

dusterboi89

Reaction score
1972 318 Duster maybe looking to swap it and using a tubular k-member

Is there any issues I’m gonna run into I’m going into this blind

Where do I begin . Mounts , clearance at fenderwells is nearly zero , extend live wire to the coil (light brown), throttle linkage , exhaust is a nightmare , T-bars need to be upgraded , trans kickdown , 727 bb trans , driveshaft upgrade , cooling issues up the wazoo , hood clearance ( maybe) . Other than that it's breeze .

You're in the right part of the forum- Big Block A body Tech. Start searching and reading all the posts you can, they go WAAAY back. People have been doing this for decades, so there are no surprises- it's ALL been done before, ever since Ma Mopar gave birth to the big block and A bodies. Plan each step of the swap. and have the parts AHEAD of time. Don't get caught in the trap of building your ultimate big block and then discover you have no way to mount it or run exhaust, or this and that won't fit with power steering or A/C... Get the right parts the first time and you'll only have to buy them once!
Also go to bigblockdart.com and start reading everything. Know the swap inside and out before you even start, every step of it. Research is an investment that pays dividends in time saved, money saved, and a better finished product. DON'T "go into it blind", there's no reason to. Plan the build, every nut and bolt- and ask specific questions when you're stumped. There's a good group of people here who are willing to help along the way, but not build it for you- you have to be willing to do your own legwork. Best of luck!

Not sure of your financial situation but if you can swing a coil over setup Reilly (Motorsport, Magnumforce racing, etc) then its really not bad. From my experience all the parts needed to do this conversion are available but of coarse the price is the biggest limiting factor. The conversion is doable for a reasonable price you just need to do your research and think things through, try to see this project from an point of view of how will all the parts to work together and complement each other not on whats the cheapest, on my project the two areas I cheeped out on (transmission, radiator) both came back to bite me in the *** and cost me double in the end

You're in the right part of the forum- Big Block A body Tech. Start searching and reading all the posts you can, they go WAAAY back. People have been doing this for decades, so there are no surprises- it's ALL been done before, ever since Ma Mopar gave birth to the big block and A bodies. Plan each step of the swap. and have the parts AHEAD of time. Don't get caught in the trap of building your ultimate big block and then discover you have no way to mount it or run exhaust, or this and that won't fit with power steering or A/C... Get the right parts the first time and you'll only have to buy them once!
Also go to bigblockdart.com and start reading everything. Know the swap inside and out before you even start, every step of it. Research is an investment that pays dividends in time saved, money saved, and a better finished product. DON'T "go into it blind", there's no reason to. Plan the build, every nut and bolt- and ask specific questions when you're stumped. There's a good group of people here who are willing to help along the way, but not build it for you- you have to be willing to do your own legwork. Best of luck!
No better way to say it "get the right parts the first time and you'll only have to buy them once.

-
Back