440 engine build failure

-
Went out this morning and spun the oil pump, getting plenty of oil in that lifter bore. Thanks for the advice guys, I will look into the next step now......
I would be bummed out too. I`d say solid roller and don't look back .

Got it apart today. All lifters turn in the bores like they are supposed to. Only that one lifter and lobe was gone. Everything else looked decent till I started pulling cam out. Cam seemed sticky sliding out at first, it pulled one of the cam bearings out of the block. I have never had this much trouble in my life with a engine.... Got a mess

What year is the block? back in the 60's mopar put the cam bearings in and then had a boring bar that bored all the cam bearings at once. I have had to hand fit all the cam bearings on the old blocks and if they are to tight they spin in the block. I'm not sure what year they fixed the problem or if they ever did. This was mainly on the RB block only I beleive.

What year is the block? back in the 60's mopar put the cam bearings in and then had a boring bar that bored all the cam bearings at once. I have had to hand fit all the cam bearings on the old blocks and if they are to tight they spin in the block. I'm not sure what year they fixed the problem or if they ever did. This was mainly on the RB block only I beleive.
73 cast date. I just had these cam bearings installed..never seen anything like it...

Did the cam spin free? did you check the oil hole alignment? I have had to replace a number of cam bearings that a shop replaced because the holes don't line up.
You can't reinstall them once you knock them out you have to replace them, they dont fit tight.

Did the cam spin free? did you check the oil hole alignment? I have had to replace a number of cam bearings that a shop replaced because the holes don't line up.
You can't reinstall them once you knock them out you have to replace them, they dont fit tight.
No did not spin like it should. Looks like shavings from that lobe and lifter ended up on the cam bearing and created more problems

No did not spin like it should.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Looks like shavings from that lobe and lifter ended up on the cam bearing and created more problems

this is where u messed up then.

A rapid cam failure is now need for a full inspection of the rod and main bearings and piston skirt condition.

good advice
use a brake cylinder on the lifter bores
check the heads for sticking valve (and check the pushrods on a piece of heavy glass)
any chance a valve tagged a piston?

Heads are fresh, no not hitting a piston. I have decided two rebuilds is enough for me on this block....gonna sell the 906 heads and rotating assembly...block needs repair I think...

above poster may have nailed it
the cam bearing bore after install by the factory
number 3 is usually tight in a BBM you have to use a bearing scraper and hand fit if you replace the cam bearings I think the spec on that bearing is .001 tight
darn
I'd stick the BHJ tool on it and check the lifter bores and sleeve if necessary
before EDM we ground a flat on the lifter to give some additional oiling (some Buicks came stock with these- not my idea but it works) used a mag plate grinder with a v block
quick and fast
but IDK if it would have helped as quick as OPs lobe went bad
as I mentioned above I've had it happen with s sticky guide but he says heads ok
IDK sorry

Got the car on the road yesterday, different block, she’s running great now! Thank you for all advice guys...

F93F1396-F290-4A4E-82DF-C7C55F427EA4.jpeg

F07A2634-CB75-4B2B-B733-439DA333945A.jpeg

2824D586-2E4E-4310-B287-625C44084B18.jpeg

6D8AFAFF-F249-4FF1-BB37-1516D3664CF0.jpeg

CFBB9295-68F6-49F0-AE01-6F1A4EFD9E98.jpeg

-
Back