440 Handling?

-
Biggest thing that helped me was going to RMS upper control arms. I had major issues getting ideal modern specs out of the factory uppers even with new bushings.

Thanks for the ideas folks.

:-s

a small block stroker will easily get you that hp and bb torque .

Granted, but that's a lot more coin. I could take the same 440 and stroke it and still get more power. but that's not the point, I'm looking for a street friendly, pump gas friendly car that'll hold its own when I return to the track. not looking for an all out drag car or I would stroke it and bump the compression up.

I think 500 is very easily done from a 440, especially with some of the combo's/dyno testing results that have been posted on here. 500 out of a 360 is going to be a little bit harder, though possible, it'll probably take it out of the target for me and into the high compression realm, where I'm not wanting to go.

Plus I have the 440 and half the parts already, and my 440 just got back from the machine shop so it'd be a waste to switch now.

But thank you for the opinion.

As for the plan, it's still a work in progress.

You can't tell me that with a well though plan you cannot make a 440 abody handle.

That was my thought going in. I think it can be done. I dont want to just throw a 440 into a slant 6 car, and be done if you get my drift. :headbang:

Well good luck and have fun on your build,you will love it I'm telling ya..just something about a bblk a-body..the sound the feel the torque after putting in the work to get it to bite and hook is worth it all...caution..this vehicle contains a bblk engine which defies normal human logic..drive at own risk due to excessive torque..may cause temporary insanity and massive head rush due to a clinched splincter muscle..and gritting of teeth..not recommended over 10 seconds of acceleration at a time...oh well you get the picture...lol

others have debunked the weight myth... consider that the AAR 'Cuda and T/A Challengers had all iron 340's, and that a modern built 440 with alum heads / intake / water pump, denso alt etc weighs less...

but i'm going to be dead honest with you. i had a 340 that ripped up A833's. people that raced them back in the 70's always brought spare trannys to the track on race weekends... for a reason.

having 550 FT-LB and higher, aint no way that A833 will survive unless you baby it.

i had to replace mine about once a year lol.

if you really really want a manual get somethin like a jerico or lenco if you are going to do launches. and lots of gear in the rear end.

if it's just a street car, go easy on her. just sayin'

others have debunked the weight myth... consider that the AAR 'Cuda and T/A Challengers had all iron 340's, and that a modern built 440 with alum heads / intake / water pump, denso alt etc weighs less...

but i'm going to be dead honest with you. i had a 340 that ripped up A833's. people that raced them back in the 70's always brought spare trannys to the track on race weekends... for a reason.

having 550 FT-LB and higher, aint no way that A833 will survive unless you baby it.

i had to replace mine about once a year lol.

if you really really want a manual get somethin like a jerico or lenco if you are going to do launches. and lots of gear in the rear end.

if it's just a street car, go easy on her. just sayin'

I've heard of such, I may change plans and go with a T56 or something along those lines. I know I'll "try" to baby it, but wont have much luck :D . I'd love a viper 6 speed but by the time I save for that, I'll be retired (i'm only 26 lol)

Duke ever think about building a 727 to go with that 440?

dont invest too much in tremecs. the guy who built my dana for me works on a spiced-up viper that some guy brings into his shop every six months for a new tranny. 1300 HP viper eats those tremecs and says "yumm" lol.

Duke ever think about building a 727 to go with that 440?

Yes sir, I have. But I really prefer manuals. There's just something about banging your own gears. Every vehicle I've owned has been a manual with the exception of the wife's car and I hate it being an auto.

well if it's a street car stick with the A833 and baby it off the line, dont downshift a lot that will make it live a long time.

if it's a track car, just get some advice in the racing forum here or on the moparts.org racing section. those guys wont steer you wrong

Yes sir, I have. But I really prefer manuals. There's just something about banging your own gears. Every vehicle I've owned has been a manual with the exception of the wife's car and I hate it being an auto.

put a manual valve body in it so you have to shift it. Check out Passion Performance they may have a 833 like you want.

Think about the 46RH swap too. Add a shift kit and a unimatic shifter, best of both worlds.

Personally I never got too caught up in the "i have to shave weight in my 440 or my a body will be undrivable" hype. I was more worried about making it stop. I have yet to have the pleasure of driving it, but I went with a pretty basic setup.

MP .920 bars
MP super stock springs
Monroe gas shocks
SSBC disc conversion, sbp.
Iron heads, iron water pump.

Let's face it, I ain't road racing this beast. If anything it might make a smoky blast or two from a stoplight.

you can get the weight of small block vs. big block, i think they are within 200# of each other.

you can swap to aluminum heads, pump, etc to save weight, but other things you can do are switch to manual steering, or convert to power rack, light weight brakes and calipers, fiberglass bumper, hood and fenders.

you can go nuts, but it gets expensive. if its a driver, just put in the 440 and do the best you can with what you have.

also ditto on the firm feel.com products, i have bought from them, they are the best.

The nose heavy big block a body myth has been debunked by all those who have ever done the conversion. It's simply not true.

I agree!!
I have a 400/470" low deck 69 B'cuda w/833. It has:
Eddy heads
RPM intake
Alum.rad/waterpump
.990 bars/SS springs/KYB shocks
Hellwig front and rear sway bars
Frame connectors (an absolute must imo)
Disc brake conversion(73-76 A-body Big bolt pattern)
8 1/4 with 3:73's

Nothing fancy. The car drives perfectly fine. Never,I mean never, does it feel nose heavy or unpredictable!! My buddy with his SB 67 Nova had a very hard time keeping up with me on some twisty rural roads near my house. With street tires on it you'll not need to worry about an 833 or an 8 1/4 rear as the tires will never hook hard enough to break either:burnout:No need to get carried away here.. a simple well thought out car will deliver the goods and be easy on the wallet! Whole lotta fun to be had in BB A-body without breaking the bank!!!:headbang:

I wouldn't worry at all about breaking the 4 speed unless you plan on running slicks and launching it hard (sidestepping the clutch at 3000 plus rpm). In an A body with street tires it will be just fine.

I set up my 74 duster with a 400 and viper t56. It handles pretty damn good. Have 1" t bars, hellwig front tube sway bar, boxed lowers new moog bushings with offset upper arms bushings, rms strut rods, us cartool frame connectors, Espo rear leafs Delrin spring eye bushings and pro thane hd rear shackles. 245 45 17s on the front 275s on the back. I'm going to be making some changes soon. Going with 315 35 17s maybe a borgeson box.

I dont think you are going to save much weight on the radiator or headers. Still not a big deal though.

dont invest too much in tremecs. the guy who built my dana for me works on a spiced-up viper that some guy brings into his shop every six months for a new tranny. 1300 HP viper eats those tremecs and says "yumm" lol.

500hp vs 1300hp hmmmm.

Dukeboy, If I had a dollar for evertime someone made fun of my 440 Road race challenger I would have bought a tremac 6 speed. Granted if you are Mario Andretti and in a serious race competion then a quicker reving motor would be to your advantage.
I Am running a 440 w AL heads and All the Al goodies, As you upgrade your braking and handling performance you shed massive weight also Just updating the Brakes and calipers was a huge weight savings. Yes a an all iron stock 440 is a beast but grab a summit catalog.
Frame connectors and a roll cage tied to my shock towers really helped my handling also.
Nice choice of car and Good luck take your car to a Road race track where you can and you will forget Autocross

I ran a 727 before i could afford the tremec 5 speed with a 500 ci 440 had so much torque out of the corner i didnt need to shift with my skill level. When you are starting out in either Autocross or road racing your biggest challenge will be learning the line and how to drive. Keep your 727 COOOOL though

-
Back