440 header question

-

Mopastor

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bought a set of Big Block Headers off of E-bay about 6 years ago. (I was told they are Hooker Super Comps) I finaly have my 440 done and in. Im trying to ge the headers squared away, but am having a rough time with the one pipe next to the steering arm and link. I was wondering if you have to get a shortened steering arm? Do they make such a thing? It has a manual steering box in the car, does that effect anything?

The headers are partial fenderwell headers with 2 pipes on the drivers side that go outside the frame and 1 pipe on the passenger side that goes outside the frame. The rest of the pipes run inboard. Maybe these headers weren't meant for an A body? Has anyone seen a set up like this for an A-body?

Should I just scrap these and purchase a set of full fenderwell headers? The 440 has Indy EZ heads (650 HP) so I don't think I want to go to smaller tubes or tri Y's

Any thoughts on this would be very helpful, espescially on the steering arm issue. I'd prefer not to have to spend another $500 on headers.

Thanks

If you do not mind cutting the inner fenders, to me full fenderwell headers will give you the best flow.

Find a good chassis shop or maybe a good muffler shop and have that one tube modified to fit. That's the cheapest way out. Good luck!

The headers on my 67 FB with a 440 are the same configuration, I had a clearance problem with one tube on the drivers side getting hit by the threaded part of the pitman arm. Had to grind off the part of the treaded end above the nut and cotter pin and put a small divit in the header tube to fix it.

The headers on my 67 FB with a 440 are the same configuration, I had a clearance problem with one tube on the drivers side getting hit by the threaded part of the pitman arm. Had to grind off the part of the treaded end above the nut and cotter pin and put a small divit in the header tube to fix it.

I had to do the same thing and shim up my engine about 1/4 inch.

Yup, after looking around on the internet they look like pro parts.

It was number 1 pipe that was hitting.

-
Back