440 hp with stock block?

-

kempkan

Reaction score
What is the max hp with a stock 440 block? I was planning on a 496 stroker with a full eagle rotating assembly and indy cnc heads running around 12 to 1 compression and a healthy cam. Can a stock block handle around 725 hp? The block has passed all checks after cleaning. My machine shop guy mainly does gm but is really particular in his work. He asked me to talk to a few people and see if this is even possible. Thanks guys!

That's going to be asking for problems in the long run, is it going to be a car driven often, drag car, street/strip what?

You can build it, but it may not last long. Most 440 blocks can handle around 600 HP.

It can do it but it's a matter of time. Like was said 600-650 with a wet block is about it. The block's main webbing will eventually fail either with a crack accross a main or catastrophically. Truthfully a new better block is only about $1500 more than properly prepping a factory block and it will last forever. If you're going to reach that high a level this should not be a problem.

What is the max hp with a stock 440 block? I was planning on a 496 stroker with a full eagle rotating assembly and indy cnc heads running around 12 to 1 compression and a healthy cam. Can a stock block handle around 725 hp? The block has passed all checks after cleaning. My machine shop guy mainly does gm but is really particular in his work. He asked me to talk to a few people and see if this is even possible. Thanks guys!
I know a 1972 520 stroker with .600 final lift and running a tuned up six pack setup produces 600 horses...he has broken his tranny and his hime joint on his torque strap....8) and that is with 440 Sources stroker kit

I know a 1972 520 stroker with .600 final lift and running a tuned up six pack setup produces 600 horses...he has broken his tranny and his hime joint on his torque strap....8) and that is with 440 Sources stroker kit
Hate to quote myself but contact Andyf and he might agree that a stroked 400 block might be better because they did some changes to the mains and webbing....JAT

Its mainly going to be a strip car. Thats what i expected to hear i just needed it set in stone i guess. Well im going to start looking for blocks. Where can i get them? I know mancini does hemi blocks but what about the 440 block? Im glad i know my options now i wanted something reliable that i can run every weekend. I will be doing a small build for now just to freshen her up while the monster is being built. THANKS AGAIN

-
Back