440 I want to check/inspect rods, crank/rings

-

marksmopar1

Reaction score
Hi all!
I just picked up a very clean 440 69 block that was a running engine built a number of years ago. 2255F forged pistons .30 over, no ridge on the cylinders, and the cross hatch marks from honing can still be seen. Still, it's a used motor and I want to inspect it before install it, do what may need done now. Here is my question, would it be ok to remove rod caps, main caps for a look, if ok reinstall and torque down? How about pulling a piston to inspect the rings etc, if nothing wrong reinstall? Whats your views on this? I am sure some will say yes some no...why is my question either way. Maybe just wise to re-ring fresh quick hone polish the crank if ok and new bearings all around?
Thanks!!

Yes, I am thinking the same, no way I am interested in re-doing a Big Block install in a "A" Body!
Darn thing looks good, but looks are one thing,,,,function is another....what I cant see is of interest (rings broken, bearing wear ETC.)

If the bores look good, I'd pull the caps, but leave the rings and bores alone. A ring problem will be visible in the wall. So there's no reason to tear into it IMO unless you see something that's questionable.

You need to be cautious on how many times you retorque the rod and main and head bolts especially. After 5 clamp loats (tightenings) they can get too much stretch and get weak.

If you replace them, that's ok. Just make sure to get the rod crank bores remachined if you replace the rod bolts so the cap and rod will be properly aligned...

It it were mine I would tear it completely apart, do a light hone and install new rings.

New rings are worth the time and trouble. Since your there already just refresh it now and you'll be good for years.

$200 now or a lot more time and effort later.

Tom

Tom, I agree, likely the way I will go, $2-3Hundred worth the piece of mind of knowing what you have at 6K RPM + ..... Good to hear the options from FAO folk!

-
Back