440 in my 70 swinger???

-

murph_44

Reaction score
First time doing a car watched dad do it before gonna get his help with alot but id like to get some input from other people. was thinkin 383 but i was told weight to power 440 would be better. Currently building a front end with a small block k-frame what is in everyones opinion good bad better etc. also throwing in bigger sway bars and such obviously. any kind of extra parts would help too :D

I am sure others will chime in who know more than I about this but here is some things you may need.

What are you starting with? If it is a slant then things like bigger brakes, T bars and rad would be nice. Going to need some motor mounts. www.engine-swaps.com should have what you need. Or I think there may be another place that has them for a little less but don't remember the name.

Going to need a BB trans and the drive shaft length adjusted.

Headers or manifolds.

Thats all I can think of but I am sure others will chime in with more.

Good luck

Yea ive already pulled the rad the old kframe is still in it but im building the other one out of the car first its the small block k frame so yes mounts still and im putting in bigger sway bars and looking at getting the rest to put in the big bolt pattern disc brakes and such my main thing is how will it fit do i need to cut how do i figure out how stiff of a suspension to use that kind of stuff but i appreciate the advice p.s. i like your car lol

Yea ive already pulled the rad the old kframe is still in it but im building the other one out of the car first its the small block k frame so yes mounts still and im putting in bigger sway bars and looking at getting the rest to put in the big bolt pattern disc brakes and such my main thing is how will it fit do i need to cut how do i figure out how stiff of a suspension to use that kind of stuff but i appreciate the advice p.s. i like your car lol

Should not have to cut any thing unless you are going to run fenderwell headers. I would not recommend them for a car that is going to see much street time.

That link I put in the first post also has BB under chassis headers people seem to like. Either that or manifolds.

T bars?:tard: Sorry IDK. Big ones? lol

I like your car too. Is it a factory burnt orange car? I want to put a black tail strip and black out hood on mine. Think they loo nice like that.

I am sure others will chime in who know more than I about this but here is some things you may need.

What are you starting with? If it is a slant then things like bigger brakes, T bars and rad would be nice. Going to need some motor mounts. www.engine-swaps.com should have what you need. Or I think there may be another place that has them for a little less but don't remember the name.

Going to need a BB trans and the drive shaft length adjusted.

Headers or manifolds.

Thats all I can think of but I am sure others will chime in with more.

Good luck

When you go to engine- swaps website, that will be Schumacher creative services. They will have the motor mounts you will need. They also carry headers that will fit. Now they are not as good as TTI under chassie headers for flow, but I have no trouble with the Schumacher headers. You will to do some trimming on the small block K-frame for oil pump clearance. Now you will have to make sure you get shims with the motor mounts if you plan on running a high volume oil pump. Your oil filter will be close to the K-frame. If you want to move it up alittle the shims will help. You can run a 7 1/4 rear to start, but if you plan on really getting into the power of a big block, I would recommend a 8 1/4 or an 8 3/4 rear axle. You will have to decide what radiator and fans to use. The clearance between the water pump and radiator is close. Need any answers send me a PM or E-mail.

Well ill keep the thread going a bit further if others are interessted
What classifies "some" trimming of the k-frame?? And will that not take away from the strength of the frame especially carrying the 440??? torsion bars are going in so i guess that will help??

You know scratch that last post should have gone to the site before jumpin the gun with questions
"NOTE: In order to gain oil pump clearance, the driver side engine support perch on the K-member must be notched approximately 1". This can be done without removing the K-member and is detailed in the instructions."

You got it. Now you can weld on a support on the motor mount area if you want, or you can buy the Schumacher engine torque strap.

Your were asking about 383 or 440.
I would go with a 400 stroker.
Use the Schumacher headers and mounts.
I would also use the 73 and up k-frame.

Here are 2 cars built diff.
74 duster 11.70's car
440 Schu's headers.

IMGP1117.jpg

Plug changing is a snap.

67 Dart.
runs 10.70's
tti's
Plug changing is a *****.

0102111541.jpg

If you are building a car that's not going faster than 11 flat.
I would go with the Schumacher headers.

-
Back