440 into '76 Duster...

-

Pana.Mopar

Duster Down Under
Reaction score
Hi All,

Im Duster owner from Down Under. I've got a '76 Duster which is currently 318/727.. Ive purchased a 440/727 which I should have in a couple of months.

The car has power steering and power assisted front disc brakes. I know the Schumacher do the header and mount packages for this set up. I also have read that subframe connectors are a necessity. The car has currently got a big radiator, shroud and clutch fan.

What else would be needed for the upgrade to Big Block. Apologies for these questions but there's not many Down Under who have done this swap before..

Is it worth the trouble and cost or should I just stick with a small block? You guys are a lot more experienced in this area than us Down Under...

Nah, Ive got a 3.55 Sure Grip 8 1/4.. The car will never see the drag strip. Might get driven hard on the street here and there... Its more of a cruiser but love to have the torque and rumble of a Big Block...

If you're going to stick with the 8 1/4 I'd recommend a drive shaft loop just in case. A friend across town dropped a 440 into a 70 Duster with the 8 1/4 and about the third time he punched it, it a well I'll just say it wasn't pretty.

You'll also need the Lokar throttle and kickdown cables, Schumacher torque rod and a BB oil pan stamped 187 or 699, they both have a dent in them to clear the idler arm during a tight turn.

Terry

Here's a 73 duster with a 8 1/4 rearend with at least 200 passes on it.
here's some pic's.
By the way it's a high 10 sec car now with the new head package.
We call it the parts car.Just parts left over in the garage.

IMGP1117.jpg

IMGP0332.jpg

IMGP0481.jpg

I really want to do the 440 conversion into my '76 Duster.. The car is currently power steer and power brakes... I know that the Schumacher header, engine mount and torque strap kit is the way to go.. I take it I will have to relocate my brake booster.. Will the headers clear the power steering box?

I really want to do the 440 conversion into my '76 Duster.. The car is currently power steer and power brakes... I know that the Schumacher header, engine mount and torque strap kit is the way to go.. I take it I will have to relocate my brake booster.. Will the headers clear the power steering box?

Both 440's I helped to put in Dusters were manual steering, I don't see why the Schmacher headers shouldn't clear the power box with a 440 but talk to Schmacher to be sure. I know that headers aren't a problem for 383/400's with power boxes. The brake booster is a different matter and there are kits out there to relocate it or just go with manual brakes as long as you go front discs.

Terry

Hi Terry, thanks for the advice. The car is currently a front disc brake boosted car. Yeah, I've heard to move the booster under the guard isnt a major issue. I've sourced a complete 440 and 727 in LA which I can ship and got it cheap. Also got a guy with complete 383 and 727 in LA who I'm waiting on. Should I go the 383 or the 440???

Hi Terry, thanks for the advice. The car is currently a front disc brake boosted car. Yeah, I've heard to move the booster under the guard isnt a major issue. I've sourced a complete 440 and 727 in LA which I can ship and got it cheap. Also got a guy with complete 383 and 727 in LA who I'm waiting on. Should I go the 383 or the 440???

I'm using the 383 but If had to choose I'd go with a stroked to 452/400. Now you got a high revving stump puller at least it better be cuss that's what I'm building next. The 383 also fits a little easier that the 440. Only problem is that the piston selection for the 383's aren't the greatest.

Terry

Some good feedback there Terry... Yeah, I've ready other posts where 383 is an easier fit than a 440.. I'm not going for a huge engine.. A good street combo..

Schumacher's will clear a power steering box. If you go with cast valve covers you'll need to mod the heater blower motor.

Ended up grabbing a 383/727 complete rebuilder engine for the Duster. 383 has got a little more clearance and I'm not after a strip terror engine. Just a nice torquey street engine... Friend has a 383 in his '68 Dart and it sounds great! It's a mild combo... Cruises well and blazes the boots with no problems.. So the Duster will get a Big Block 383!!! I bought a complete driveline our of a '68 car I think? I'm after a nice torquey streetable combo. Any suggestions on engine combo?

Hi All,

Im Duster owner from Down Under. I've got a '76 Duster which is currently 318/727.. Ive purchased a 440/727 which I should have in a couple of months.

The car has power steering and power assisted front disc brakes. I know the Schumacher do the header and mount packages for this set up. I also have read that subframe connectors are a necessity. The car has currently got a big radiator, shroud and clutch fan.

What else would be needed for the upgrade to Big Block. Apologies for these questions but there's not many Down Under who have done this swap before..

Is it worth the trouble and cost or should I just stick with a small block? You guys are a lot more experienced in this area than us Down Under...
sounds like your on the right track, just make sure your 440 and tranny are in good shape. also look at tti for your headers, and get a good posi. unit for your rearend. i have been in the mopars for a long time, i also have a duster, a dart, and a cuda. if you need anything just ask. one more thing you might want check your oilpan and k-member. alter-k-tion makes a killer setup. anyway nice meeting you, hope to hear from you.....

I ended up purchasing a 383 and 727 out of a '69 New Yorker. The driveline has arrived but waiting to get it cleared by customs. Have also already purchased the complete Schumacher Kit with chrome headers, engine mounts and torque strap.. Now just waiting for the driveline to get here so I can tear the 383 down and see what it's like and what it needs. I want a mild combo that's streetable but sounds good and will fry the tires...

I just finished making all of the neccesary notches and header clearances. You have to notch the K member for oil pump clearance. You have to grind some additional material off of the power steering gearbox near the hose connnections. You have to grind some material off of a boss located on the driver's side of the block. I saw a 383 in a Duster and it cleared the power brake booster. That's why he put a 383 in it. I hope this helps. You can also download all of the installation instructions at Shumacher website.:read2:

I just finished making all of the neccesary notches and header clearances. You have to notch the K member for oil pump clearance. You have to grind some additional material off of the power steering gearbox near the hose connnections. You have to grind some material off of a boss located on the driver's side of the block. I saw a 383 in a Duster and it cleared the power brake booster. That's why he put a 383 in it. I hope this helps. You can also download all of the installation instructions at Shumacher website.:read2:

Thanks for the update on your build. I'd be wrapped if the 383 cleared the power booster as well...

I have a 440 in my 74 duster and have no problems with headers, however the started i've heard has a tendency to get hot, but don't know if thats true either. I am curious sbout power brake booster.. I have power steering and disc brakes up front, would like to put power booster on.. here is a pic of my engine dept.

Attachments

• DSC02288.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 609
-
Back